State of Virginia Diploma Seals
Types of Diploma Seals
State Diploma Seals
The Governor’s Seal will be awarded to students who complete the requirements for an Advanced Studies Diploma with an average grade of B or better and successfully complete college-level coursework that will earn the student at least nine transferable college credits in Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Cambridge, or dual enrollment courses.
Virginia Board of Education (VBOE) Seal is for students who complete the requirements for a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma with an average grade of A.
The Board of Education’s Career and Technical Education Seal will be awarded to students who earn a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma and complete a prescribed sequence of courses in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that they choose and maintain a B or better average in those courses or pass an examination or an occupational competency assessment in a career and technical education concentration or specialization that confers certification or occupational competency credential from a recognized industry, trade, or professional association or acquire a professional license in that career and technical education field from the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Board shall approve all professional licenses and examinations used to satisfy these requirements.
The Board of Education’s Seal of Advanced Mathematics and Technology will be awarded to students who earn a Standard or Advanced Studies Diploma and
- Satisfy all of the mathematics requirements for the Advanced Studies Diploma (four units of credit including Algebra II; two verified units of credit) with a B average or better; and
- Either (a) pass an examination in a career and technical education field that confers certification from a recognized industry, or trade or professional association; (b) acquire a professional license in a career and technical education field from the Commonwealth of Virginia; or (c) pass an examination approved by VBOE that confers college-level credit in a technology or computer science area. VBOE shall approve all professional licenses and examinations used to satisfy these requirements.
The Board of Education’s Seal for Excellence in Civics Education will be awarded to students who earn a Standard, Advanced Studies, or Modified Standard Diploma and:
complete Virginia and United States History and Virginia and United States Government courses with a grade of B or higher and have good attendance and no disciplinary infractions as determined by local school board policies and, complete 50 hours of voluntary participation in community service or extracurricular activities. Activities that would satisfy the requirements of clause (iii) of this subdivision include:
- Volunteering for a charitable or religious organization that provides services to the poor, sick, or less fortunate
- Participating in Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or similar youth organizations
- Participating in JROTC
- Participating in political campaigns or government internships, or Boys State, Girls State, or Model General Assembly
- Participating in school-sponsored extracurricular activities that have a civics focus.
Any student who enlists in the United States military prior to graduation will be deemed to have met this community service requirement.
The Seal of Biliteracy will be available for those students demonstrating mastery in both English and a world language. More information including the necessary criteria to earn a seal will be forthcoming.