Forty-Four Students Named 2018 National Merit Scholarship Winners
Forty-four students from 11 Fairfax County high schools have been named winners of $2,500 scholarships from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Scholarship winners are part of a group of approximately 2,500 National Merit finalists chosen to receive scholarships primarily financed by the NMSC.
Winners of the scholarships, with their probable career fields in parentheses, are:
• Andrew Lee of Centreville High School (law).
• Peter Liu of Chantilly High School (mathematics).
• Michael Barth of Herndon High School (astrophysics).
• Eric Smith of Lake Braddock Secondary School (aerospace engineering).
• Sudharsan Balasubramani of Madison High School (biomedical engineering).
• Holly Waters of Marshall High School (science-research).
• Siddarth Shankar of McLean High School (economics).
• Kira Buttrey of Oakton High School (bioengineering).
• Naman Baraya of Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) (medicine).
• Shreya Chappidi of TJHSST (neuroscience).
• Soren Christensen of TJHSST (neurosurgery).
• Philip Cho of TJHSST (biomedical engineering)
• Eric Deng of TJHSST (undecided).
• Katherine Du of TJHSST (bioinformatics).
• Emily He of TJHSST (mechanical engineering).
• Minyoung Hwang of TJHSST (physics).
• Max Judish of TJHSST (computer science).
• Akshaj Kadaveru of TJHSST (applied mathematics).
• John Kim of TJHSST (engineering).
• Dylan Klapper of TJHSST (biology).
• Kavya Kopparapu of TJHSST (bioinformatics).
• John Krause-Steinrauf of TJHSST (medical research).
• Kevin Le of TJHSST (medicine).
• Eric Lin of TJHSST (computer science).
• Linda Lin of TJHSST (physics).
• Maxwell Lord of TJHSST (computer science).
• Mihir Patel of TJHSST (computer science).
• Alex Peng of TJHSST (materials engineering).
• Akhil Rekulapelli of TJHSST (medicine).
• Nikhil Sardana of TJHSST (theoretical physics).
• Aditya Sarkar of TJHSST (medicine).
• William Sun of TJHSST (physics).
• Sarkis Ter Martirosyan of TJHSST (electrical engineering).
• Neil Thistlethwaite of TJHSST (computer science).
• Artemis Veizi of TJHSST (electrical engineering)
• Keely Wan of TJHSST (computer science).
• Emily Wang of TJHSST (art history).
• Franklyn Wang of TJHSST (computer science).
• Lilian Wang of TJHSST (computer programming).
• Sherry Xie of TJHSST (undecided).
• Wendy Yin of TJHSST (finance).
• Justin Zhang of TJHSST (computer science).
• Celi Johnson of Westfield High School (civil engineering).
• Hyung Chang of Woodson High School (computer science).
Each of the FCPS winners received a scholarship supported by the NMSC’s own funds
Each scholarship winner was evaluated on his or her academic record, including difficulty level of subjects studied and grades earned; scores from two standardized tests; contributions and leadership in school and community activities; a personal essay; and a recommendation from a high school official. The number of winners named in a state is in proportion to the state’s percentage of the national total of graduating high school seniors. Winners are chosen by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, not the school district.
Note: For more information, contact the FCPS Office of Communication and Community Relations at 571-423-1200.