School History: Oak Grove Elementary School

Remembering Our Past

Oak Grove Elementary School opened in 1953, and was closed in June 1964. It was the first school closed during integration. In 1954, the boundary line between Fairfax and Loudoun counties was re-surveyed, and a portion of the school property ended up on the Loudoun County side of the line. The majority of Oak Grove students were integrated into Floris, Herndon, and Navy elementary schools. During the construction of Lake Anne Elementary School, the building housed Lake Anne’s students from September 1966 to January 1967. The building later served as a Head Start Program site, a recreation center, and a Senior Center and Nutrition Site. Oak Grove was purchased by the Town of Herndon in the early 1980s. The building was used by the Herndon Police Department until 2004, and currently houses the Town of Herndon’s Zoning Enforcement Office.

Black and white photograph of Oak Grove Elementary School.
Oak Grove Elementary School, 1958. Courtesy of the Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library.


Map showing the location of Oak Grove Elementary School.
Current Address: 1479 Sterling Road, Herndon, Virginia 20170

Land Records

  • Fairfax County Deed Book 906, Page 34: Sept. 7, 1951, 8 acres from B. L. Poole and his wife Sarah Jane Poole.

Construction Records

  • Designed by the architecture firm of Francis Palms Associates
  • Built by Young & Crary, Inc.
  • School Board Meeting Contract Award: March 11, 1952 
  • Contract Amount: $135,112


The following persons once taught at Oak Grove Elementary School.

  • Ruth S. Branch
  • Lutie Lewis Coates (Principal)
  • Ida L. Harris
  • Dorothy L. Jackson
  • Augustus L. Lacey
  • Anna E. Lightfoot
  • Ida W. Murchison
  • Earl L. Pulley (Principal)
  • Winnie Walker Spencer
  • Ernestine T. Stewart
  • Isaac E. Street