School Board Forum Topics and Outcomes

Forum Topics and Outcomes

Topics are listed in reverse chronological order

Detailed information regarding meeting agendas is available at: http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/Public

FY 2016

Forum Topic/Advocacy Forum Meeting Date Outcome

Topic: Provide the opportunity for the School Board to discuss and affirm plans to change the brand of the school system to better align the brand with the Strategic Plan Ignite, including web redesign and logo initiatives

June 30, 2016

Consensus: Staff should present to the Board at the retreat on July 22 during the 3pm to 6 pm session reserved for the strate4gic plan.

Topic: To bring to scale and operationalize a menu of activities and opportunities that all shools can access and use to make June a time of productive learning experiences. Strong anecdotal evidence indicates that some schools have excellent programs, activities and opportunities, while others have little or none. The intent of this is to bring forward opportunities for health and wellness programs, field trips, internships, mentoring/volunteering, etc.

May 31, 2016

Consensus: Agreement to request more information from staff to bring to scale and operationalize a menu of activities and opportunities that all schools can access and use to make June a time of productive learning experiences.

Topic 1: The Public Engagement Committee (PEC) should investigate the prospect of an AAP Summit in the future

 

 

 

 

Topic 2: The School Board should establish a protocol for School Board advocacy letters that hve not been publicly discussed by the full Board

May 12, 2016

Topic 1 Concensus: Refer to PEC to investigate the prospect of holding an AAP summit similar to those held for Special Education and Student Wellness

 

Topic 2 Concensus: Refer to Governance Committee to explore potential recommendations to make to full Board to ensure that advoccy letters reflect School Board policy while preserving 1st Amendment rights.

 

Topic 1: Discussion of the merits of having regular operational presentations to the School Board from the Auditor General

 

Topic 2: Review of Electronic Outreach portion of the governance manual

March 31, 2016

Topic 1 Consensus: Direct the Auditor General to bring to Audit Committee an annual work plan, to include reports, to the full Board.

Topic 2 Consensus: The Board will review the use of social media to enhance Board member communication with citizens by scheduling a briefing by Division Counsel through PEC on use of social media and information to be included in newsletters.  The Governance Manual should also be brought up to date and include use of social media.

Topic 1: Discussion of providing venues/opportunity to publicly honor students' high achievements in math, athletics, arts and other areas.

 

 

Topic 2: Community engagement on the possible renaming of Stuart High School

 

 

 

 

Topic 3: Closing schools on March 1 for Primary Day

February 18, 2016

Topic 1 Consensus: The Governance Committee will research and recommend to the Board methods to honor the achievements of students in all grades.

 

Topic 2 Consensus: The Board directed the Superintendent to move forward with the community engagement process on the possible renaming of Stuart High School.

 

Topic 3 Consensus: Consideration of changing the 2015-16 school calendar to include a teacher and student holiday on March 1 for the presidential primary is on the regular Board meeting agenda this evening, so the discussion will continue during the regular meeting. Focus of the discussion will be on closing for Primary Day, how offices and SACC may be affected.

 

Topic 1: Pre-Labor Day Calendar Waiver

Advocacy:

There are two issues for consideration: 1. Should the Board direct the Superintendent to apply for the Pre-Labor Day waiver from the state? 2. If the Board directs the Superintendent to apply for the waiver, and the waiver is subsequently granted, should the Pre-Labor day start be effective beginning with the 2016-17 or the 2017-18 school year?

 

Topic 2: Discuss the possibility of videotaping portions of the School Board Retreats to be shared with the public.

Advocacy: Consideration of videotaping the portions of School Board retreats where we are discussing policy or other School Board decisionmaking. The Board and the public would benefit from a recording of our conversatoins about substantive topics considered at retreats, especially when decisions are being made or discussed.

 

 

 

February 4, 2016

Topic 1 Consensus:

The rules of the waiver will be the subject of an in-depth discussion at the February 8 Work Session. The Board will consider serveral options regarding a Pre-Labor Day school year start and give the Superintendent diretion regarding the waiver.

 

 

Topic 2 Consensus:

The Board will begin audiotaping policy and decision-making discussions at retreats.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Topic 1:Timing for the election of the Student Representative to the School Board by the Student Advisory Council

Advocacy:
Consideration of revision to Policy 1802, coupled with a change in Regulation 1703 (Student Advisory Council to the Superintendent) as new business on February 4 and as an action item on February 18. The change would move the election of the Student Representative to the School Board to April instead of the currently-prescribed February time frame.  Students have expressed concern that it is too early to attract candidates from the SAC and SB leadership program.

 

January 21, 2016

Topic 1 Consensus:
The revision to Policy 1802 and Regulation 1703 will be considered as new business on February 4 and as an action item on February 18 to change the election of the Student Representative to the School Board to April, effective with the for the 2017-18 school year. 

Topic 1: Policy on changing school names

Advocacy: to add to the December School Board agendas consideration of adding a sentence to the policy to enable school names to be changed for reasons other than a change in purpose or function of the facility. The proposed change would allow the School Board to consider a change for some other compelling need.

 

 

 

 

Topic 2: Explain the difference between Home Schooling and Religious Exemption

Nov. 16, 2015

Topic 1: Consensus: majority consensus to add the draft policy 8170.4, as revised, with the following sentence at the end: The School Board may also consider a change in the name of a school or facility where some other compelling need exists to the agenda for the December 3 regular meeting, with action scheduled for December 17, 2015.

 

Topic 2: Consensus:Division Counsel would brief the Board in January.

Proposal to have a joint meeting of the Planning Commission's School Committee and School Board Members to discuss issues of mutual interest.

Advocacy: How could the School Board best work with the BOS regarding resource stewardship, including proffers, the student yield formula, school capacity, and SACC? Should School Board Members meet with the Planning Commission Schools Committee and/or request a joint meeting with the Planning Commission, BOS, or with the School Board Chair, Vice Chair and PC Liaison? What would be the Chair's response to the letter from the BOS regarding FCPS' request to reinstitute the Infrastructure Financing Committee?

October 8, 2015

Consensus: A response to the BOS would be prepared and would request that two School Board members meet with the Planning Commission Schools Committee in the January-February 2016 time frame. FCPS would set the agenda to include land use, equity impact, bonds, and a process that would involve FCPS much earlier in major land use decisions because of impact of housing development on surrounding schools. From that meeting, a recommendation would be developed to present to BOS. In addition, the School Board would send a request to reconvene the IFC.

School Board Collective and Individual Goal Setting

Advocacy: Adopt a process by which School Board members individually and collectively set annual goals and report annual progress; refer to the Governance Committee for appropriate Strategic Governance Manual updates. (Ted Velkoff)

May 7, 2015

No concensus for support. Mr. Velkoff to discuss with the Governance Committee chairman possible enhancements to the Board’s current annual self-evaluation.

 

Forum Topic Archive

FY 2015

FY 2014

FY 2013

FY 2012

 

Related Topics

Pending Forum Topics

Forum Topics and Outcomes:
FY 2012, FY 2013, FY 2014
Strategic Governance Manual acrobat icon

Contact Us

Write to a School Board Member

School Board Office

Webpage Curator

Beverly Madeja
bamadeja@fcps.edu

Last Updated

July 6, 2016