Students in grades 6-8 in our school will be taking the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) Tests from May 17- June 10, 2016. It will be very helpful if you can avoid appointments which may take your child out of school during this time period. Also, it will help your child to perform at his or her best if he or she has had a good night’s rest and a healthy breakfast and comes to school with a positive attitude. Parent Notification (pdf)
HMS SOL Testing Schedule for May/June 2016 can be found here
Summer 2016 Opportunities
Discover Russian! 4-week 2016 Summer Immersion STARTALK Program. Learn Russian Language and Culture in a total immersion program sponsored by The American Councils for International Education and FCPS/TJHSST
July 5-29, 9am–3pm, M-F (drop off time in morning 8-9am) at HMS
Eligibility: Motivated rising 6th-12th graders
Contact: Betsy Sandstrom, Program Director: firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional questions about the program.
Level 1: No prior knowledge of Russian required
Level 2: For students with background at any level Russian
The following are the links to the course catalog for Holmes Middle School 2016-17 school year. The catalog can be used to find information about core curriculum and elective classes. If you have any questions about the course please email your counselor.
- 2016-17 6th Grade Classes (link)
- 2016-17 7th Grade Classes (link)
- 2017-17 8th Grade Classes (link)
Service requirements for each grade
- 6th Grade (pdf)
- 7th Grade (pdf)
- 8th Grade (pdf)
- Late bus are available every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Students who are planning to use the late bus will be expected to be at school from 2:25 pm to about 4:30 pm – please note that the 4:30 pm time might change to 4:45 pm depending on adjustments made by FCPS transportation based on availability of buses. If you have any other questions about the after-school program and/or late bus run, please contact Mr. Cabezas, After-School Program Coordinator.
- HMS gladly accept checks! Include: driver's license number, full name, street address, phone numbers. (pdf)
- Inclement Weather: When Fairfax County Public Schools have a schedule change (closing or delay) due to inclement weather or other emergencies, the information is communicated as soon as the decision is made in these ways: Posted here, Facebook and Twitter. Posted on TV Channel 21 (Cox Communications, Reston Comcast, and Verizon cable customers only). Sent via e-mail to parents, employees, and KIT Plus subscribers of Delayed Openings and School Closings through the Keep in Touch e-mail notification system. Called in to area radio and television stations. Sent via text message to Keep in Touch Plus subscribers who have opted to receive Delayed Openings and School Closings.