Welcome To Herndon Middle School!
AnnouncementsHMS Reading Rally
Next Friday is the Herndon MS Reading Rally. This is a chance to show our students the importance of reading and how much it is valued in our lives and in our school.
Here are some of the exciting things that will be going on that day:
*Reading related activities throughout the (short) day
*Read alouds by some of our very own HMS staff! If you haven’t had a chance to volunteer yet, please contact Hallie Case. Staff who read Spanish are also welcome to volunteer.
*Presentations by two authors-Sara Raasch (pdf) and Kristen Lippert-Martin (pdf).
*A special reading song and music video (courtesy of our fantastic chorus students)
*A special reading-focused Hawk Talk with book “commercials” by our students
*Three designated DEAR times where everyone (students AND staff) in the entire school drops everything and reads!
In addition, we host an event called Milk and Bookies that culminates this day.
· Milk and Bookies Book Drive is a chance for students to give back to the Herndon community by donating a brand new (or gently used) book. They will bring book donations to their 5th period class from 12/8-12/19. NJHS will collect donations during Hawk Times. Students who donate will attend a special celebration in the library on the Reading Rally Day and will receive milk and cookies! Cookie donations (no nuts please!) are welcome for our Milk and Bookies event. You can bring them to the library on Dec.18 or 19.
Please put the cookies on a disposable plate or box that you do not expect to be returned.
To volunteer for the event, click HERE (pdf)
If you have questions, contact Karyn.email@example.com
Offices will be closed over Winter Break (12/22-
Our Helpers in Heels Club is planning a fashion show for Thursday Dec. 18th and we are wondering if you could support our efforts. The theme of the show is “Runway Looks,” and proceeds will benefit our clothing closet and our local students and community members in need.
We are looking for help in these areas:
- Dry Cleaning Brigade—we need one or two parents that would be willing to take borrowed clothes to the dry cleaner after the show.
- Lend an Outfit—do you have an outfit that our students could wear in the fashion show? We are looking for both outfits that are reminiscent of an era (i.e. the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, etc.) and for clothes that show a family’s’ cultural heritage. They can be for women and any size will do! Clothing will be returned to students on Friday Dec. 19th at school. Items that are lent and need dry-cleaning may need to be returned at a later date.
- Please drop off the clothing as soon as possible (or by Friday Dec. 12th at the latest) at the main office marked to my attention.
- Include the following information with the clothing (see attached form):
- Student name and grade
- What era or country it represents along with any special meaning
- Whether we should have our volunteers dry clean it or if you prefer to clean it yourself afterwards.
- Hands on Deck—it would be helpful to have a few parents that could help us run the fashion show from 2:30-4:15 on Thursday 12/18. Hair and make-up experience not required but is helpful. Some people will simply be needed to help coordinate.
If you are interested in helping please check out the Volunteer Form.
Thank you for your consideration. Please contact me with questions or ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.505.1637. We look forward to a fun event for our students!
Ms. Lauryn Golden
Helpers in Heels Club Sponsor
HMS Participates in One Hour of Code
This week is the One Hour of Code week, an event that encourages students to pursue careers in Computer Science by introducing them to coding through fun games. HMS is participating in this event through Tech Ed and ESOL classes. However, anyone can participate by selecting one of the activities on THIS page.
HMS Code Avengers Contest
Think you can code a fun video game? Well HMS is challenging you through the Code Avengers site. The process is simple. First, go to the Code Avengers Tutorial Site to learn how to code and design your own game. Second, once your game is complete, have your parents email your full name and your game URL to email@example.com,with the subject heading, HMS Code Avenger Contest Submission. All submissions are due by Friday at 5pm. Submissions will be evaluated by selected play testers. Winners will be announced on December 19th during the morning announcements. Good luck!
Battle of the Books Parent Letter
Parent Letters for Battle of the Books are now available!
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology(TJHSST) is a unique Fairfax County public high school offering a comprehensive college preparatory program emphasizing the sciences, technology, and mathematics. The school serves students selected on the basis of aptitude and interest in the biological,physical, mathematical, and computer sciences who intend to pursue college preparation in the sciences, engineering, or related fields. The admission process is extremely competitive. For more information click HERE (pdf)
FCPS Bullying Tip Form and Phone Number
The Office of Safety and Security provides a telephone hot line and web form for the reporting of school safety issues including such dangerous rumors, drug use, theft, harassment, gang activities, existence of weapons, and vandalism. Tip Line users may identify themselves or remain anonymous, and calls will not be traced.
Tip Line (pdf)
Telephone Hot Line: 703-658-3636
Students with locker problems can give the Locker Problem Request Form (pdf) to their Hawk Time teacher. (See Learning Seminar on student schedule). Kiss and Ride Information
If you will drop your student off, please follow our Kiss and Ride procedures (pdf). Students may not be dropped off in front of the school and it is illegal to drop off students on Locust street. The Herndon police will ticket drivers and dropping off on the street is not safe for our students.
Attached you will find the Kiss and Ride directions map. (link attached map)
The HMS schedule rotation (pdf) which shows our neutral days, odd days and even days, is available. HMS 2014-15 Supply List and Bell Schedule
If your child is at-risk for harming him/herself, please contact one of these 24/7 emergency mental health hotlines for immediate support.Golden Wellness Binder And Other Wellness Resources!
Once again it is that time of year when Physical Education classes completes their Golden Wellness Binder. HERE (pdf) is a list of local community sites for physical fitness.
Office of Food and Nutrition Services
Wellness Brochure (pdf)
Herndon MS will be selling red string backpacks. The string backpack can be used to transport textbooks and classroom supplies throughout the school day. We would love to see all of our students using these backpacks to securely take their school supplies from class to class. For more information click here (pdf)
Current Newsletters & Downloads
- 2014-2015 Supply List: The supply list for the upcoming school year is available HERE.
- The HMS School Improvement Plan can be found HERE.
- Recuerden de revisar la sección en Español para mantenerse informados sobre eventos y fechas importantes.
- Here is some information for families new to Fairfax County who want to register children for FCPS schools.
- Support Herndon Middle School through your purchases at Food Lion! The HMS code is: 219845.