Welcome to Herndon Middle School!
Principal's Monthly Bulletin
Mrs. Klena has released a new bulletin for the month of May. Click the Principal's Page link to find out important details about upcoming events at HMS.
Health Room Reminder
Please check out this letter from the Health Room for important information about end of the year procedures.
HMS 8th Grade Dance
The 8th grade dance is coming- Thursday June 13th from 6:30-9pm. Parents, the attire for the dance is NOT FORMAL WEAR. The suggested dress code for the dance is the following:
~For girls, casual summer dresses and skirts or capri length shorts. No short shorts, no midriff-bearing shirts, no jeans or flip flops. Dresses with spaghetti straps must be covered with a shawl or shrug sweater.
~For boys, khaki pants or khaki shorts with golf-style or polo shirts is suggested. No jeans, no sneakers, no sleeveless tanks and no t-shirts with wording.
HMS would like to thank all those who participated in the 2nd Annual 5K. It was a great success. Check out photos from the event HERE.
SOL Testing Schedule
The SOL Testing Schedule can be found here.
HMS Jumpstart Program
Attention rising 7th graders! Nervous about middle school? Want to make sure you know where each class is and how to open your locker? Wanna have fun? Then join HMS Jumpstart! Jumpstart participants will spend one week getting to know the school, its teachers, and other new students! To learn how to apply check out this flyer and turn in to the Main office at Herndon Middle School. See you in August!
HMS 2013-14 Course Description Guide & Selection Sheets
Personally Owned Devices at HMS
Fairfax County Public Schools is committed to assisting students and staff in creating a 21st century learning environment. In an effort to support this progress, students and staff will able to access our wireless network with their personal devices (laptops, netbooks, tablets, smart phones, etc) during the school day. With classroom teacher's approval and after students have registered their devices, students may use their own devices to access online resources and collaborate with other students. By allowing students to use their own technology on campus we are hoping to increase the access all students have to the technology they need to succeed.
Why are we doing this?
Applications accessed by a web browser, such as FCPS Google Apps for Education, eliminate the need to have specific software loaded onto every student computer. Cloud based computing allows students to access their information from any internet enabled device anytime, anywhere. The current economic times require unique strategies to ensure every student has equitable access to online resources.
21st Century Learning
We believe equitable access to technology will aid our students in becoming self-directed learners and collaborative team players.
Parents purchasing devices may want to consider the following information. FCPS does not recommend a specific type of device, but would like parents to know of resources available purchasing devices and software. The Technology@Home program http://www.fcps.edu/it/technology/TechnologyHome.shtml/) enables students, faculty and staff to purchase products for home technology use, directly from vendors at educational discount rates.
Students are to turn in their Acceptance of Responsibility and Device Use Agreement Form in exchange for an "FCPS APPROVED" sticker for their device. Devices in use by students that have not been approved or are in use outside the classroom fall under the Student Rights & Responsibilities regulation and are subject to confiscation and will be returned to the parent.
To access the Acceptance of Responsibility and Device Use Agreement Form in multiple languages click HERE.
FCPS Enrichment Courses
Fairfax County is offering enrichment classes for Middle and High School students. For more information, click HERE
- The HMS School Improvement Plan can be found HERE.
- The new HMS Yearbook Order form is available.
- The 2012-13 School Supply List is available.
- The Battle of the Books list for the 2012-13 school year is available!
The first online edition of the student newspaper is here! Check out our Spring 2013 edition as well as HMS Student News archive page to see all of last school year's editions of the student newspaper and to view the student news show PrimeTime@PowerTime news special.
- Recuerden de revisar la sección en Español para mantenerse informados sobre eventos y fechas importantes.
- Take a look at Co-Teaching at Herndon Middle School courtesy of the FCPS Insight program.
- Here is some information for families new to Fairfax County who want to register children for FCPS schools.
- Support Herndon Middle School through your purchases at Food Lion! The HMS code is: 219845.
- Learn more about food and nutrition by taking a look at the HMS Physical Education Department page.
- Students who want extra help have many after school opportunities to get it at HMS! Find out about all the ways we are trying to help students succeed here at HMS.
- May 3 - Hershey Park Trip
- May 7 - Band Concert (7pm)
- May 9 - Orchestra Concert (7pm)
- May 11 - West Potomac May Fest
- May 14-31 - SOL Testing (see Calendar)
- May 17 - Interims Distributed