Laura Jane Cohen was sworn into office as the Springfield District School Board Member on December 12, 2019. Cohen grew up in Marietta, Georgia, and is the daughter and granddaughter of public school teachers.
After graduating from the University of Georgia with a degree in Political Science, Cohen worked for the Lt. Governor and Secretary of State of Georgia. When she and her husband moved to Fairfax County in 2001, Cohen became the Director of Outreach for a National Parkinson’s nonprofit. Having two kids brought her back to her teaching roots. Cohen taught preschool for several years before becoming a long-term substitute teacher for Fairfax County Public Schools. Cohen also served on the Cherry Run Elementary School PTA for eight years, three years as Staff Relations Chair, two terms as PTA President, and as the liaison to the Fairfax County Council of PTAs. She is currently a proud member of the Lake Braddock PTSA.
Cohen is a proud volunteer with Moms Demand Action and has also served on the Fairfax County Democratic Committee’s LGBTQ+ Committee. She also served on the Career and Technical Education Advisory Committee as well as the Disputed Materials Committee for the FCPS School Board.
In addition to her advocacy work, Cohen opened a vintage home decor shop in Clifton in 2015. Though she no longer owns it, Cohen still enjoys restoring furniture in her free time. She and her husband, Seth, live in Burke with their two kids and two dogs.
Current term expires 12/31/23
Video - Back-to-School Message
Sign up for Laura Jane Cohen's newsletter. You will receive newsletters and other news in your email inbox.
Language translations of recent newsletters are available.
- LGBTQIA+ Pride and National Gun Violence Awareness Month
- Volunteer Opportunity and June Family Resource Center Webinars
- Newsletter May 2023
- Volunteer and Engagement Opportunity Deadlines
- Important Dates, Constituent Opportunities, Thank a Teacher, and Parent Resource Center Update
- Newsletter April 2023
- Reminder: Joint Springfield and Sully District Town Hall and Proposed Updates to Student Rights & Responsibilities Community Meeting Tonight
- Reminder: Joint Springfield and Sully District Town Hall and Proposed Updates to Student Rights & Responsibilities Community Meeting Tomorrow
- Upcoming Family Engagement Opportunities and Special Education Award Nominations
- Reminder: Springfield District Fentanyl Town Hall Tonight!
- Reminder: Springfield District Fentanyl Town Hall Tomorrow!
- Upcoming Town Halls and Rescheduled Willow Springs Renovation Community Meeting
- UPDATE: Willow Springs Elementary Renovation Community Meeting to be Rescheduled
- Reminder: Joint Braddock and Springfield District Town Hall Tonight
- Reminder: Joint Braddock and Springfield District Town Hall Tomorrow
- Newsletter March 2023
- Reminder: Family Engagement Opportunity and Teen Job Fair Plus Opioid Awareness Community Meeting
- Family Engagement Opportunity and Teen Job Fair
- Save the Date - Joint Braddock and Springfield District Town Hall
- Springfield District Strategic Plan Community Forum TONIGHT!
- Newsletter February 2023
- Provide Feedback on Draft Calendar Options
- Newsletter January 2023
- Newsletter December 2022
- Upcoming ESSER III Engagement Opportunity With Dr. Reid
- Learn More About the FCPS Calendar Process
- Newsletter November 2022
- Newsletter October 2022
- Upcoming Opportunities for Families of Students With Disabilities
- Volunteer Needed for Secondary World Languages Basal Resources Committee
- Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund Feedback Opportunities
- Newsletter September 2022
- Superintendent Connection Opportunities
- Additional Back-to-School Health and Safety Information
- Newsletter August 2022 - Welcome Back-to-School
- Back-to-School Night Dates & 2022-2023 School Year Calendar
- Newsletter July 2022
- Newsletter June 2022
- Newsletter May 2022
- Newsletter April 2022
- Newsletter March 2022
- Newsletter February 2022
- Newsletter January 2022
- Newsletter December 2021
- Newsletter November 2021
- Newsletter October 2021
- Newsletter September 2021
- Newsletter Welcome Back to School 2021-22
- End of School Year 2020-21 Congratulations
- Newsletter Early Summer 2021
- Newsletter April 2021
- Newsletter March 2021
- Newsletter February 2021
- Newsletter January 2021
About Fairfax County's Springfield District
Fairfax County is divided into nine magisterial districts, which are used for conducting elections. Magisterial districts are unrelated to school boundaries. Ms. Cohen was elected to serve as the School Board member to represent the Springfield magisterial district.
Citizen Advisory Committees
The School Board appoints members to numerous citizen advisory committees to increase community input on specific issues. School Board members each appoint a citizen to represent their district. Advisory committees meet throughout the year and submit an annual report to the Board. Learn more about School Board committees, including citizen advisory committees.
- Advanced Academic Programs Advisory Committee (AAPAC)
- Adult and Community Education Advisory Committee (ACEAC)
- Advisory Committee for Students with Disabilities (ACSD)
- Career and Technical Education Advisory Committee (CTEAC)
- Family Life Education Curriculum Advisory Committee (FLECAC)
- Facilities Planning Advisory Council (FPAC)
- Human Resources Advisory Committee (HRAC)
- Minority Student Achievement Oversight Committee (MSAOC)
- School Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
- Title I Parent Advisory Committee (TPAC) - Members of this committee are selected by school principals.
Laura Jane Cohen
- Phone: 571-423-1080
- E-mail: Send An Email
Stephanie Sheridan, Executive Administrative Assistant
- Phone: 571-423-1065
- E-mail: Send An Email