Learn about FCPS' process for finding a new superintendent.
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is conducting a nationwide search for a new superintendent to lead the school district when Superintendent Brabrand's contract expires at the end of the 2021-22 school year.
Your input is an important part of the search process.
Attend a Town Hall
Please attend a virtual Superintendent Search Town Hall to provide feedback on the characteristics and personality traits you would like to see in the new superintendent. The town halls will be hosted on Zoom:
Tuesday, January 18
- 6-7 p.m.: *Region 3 (Register now). Spanish, Korean, and Arabic interpretation services available. American Sign Language interpretation service also available.
- 7:30-8:30 p.m. FCPS Employees only (Register now). American Sign Language interpretation service available.
* Some town halls are grouped by region, but they are still open to any Fairfax County resident, except for the employee event which is for FCPS employees only.
Superintendent Search Survey for Community MembersCommunity Members: Weigh in on the leadership characteristics and qualities of the next superintendent. FCPS parents, staff, and high school students will receive an email with unique survey links.
Community Engagement Opportunities and Information
- December 13, 2021: School Board work session to discuss the process, timeline, and engagement opportunities. Watch video recording and view the consultant's presentation.
- December 14-16, 2021: GR Consulting, the search firm handling the superintendent search, held Staff Stakeholder Meetings with previously identified staff members representing all employee groups.
- January 4-18, 2022: GR Consulting is administering a survey to parents/guardians, students, staff, and community members. The survey will be available in multiple languages and will be a great opportunity for the FCPS community to weigh in on the most important qualities our next superintendent should possess.
- January 12, 13 and 18, 2022: The search firm to hold Community Stakeholder Meetings with previously identified parents, students, and community members.
- January 12, 13 and 18, 2022: The search firm hosted virtual Town Hall meetings for the community to attend. Watch the video recordings:
- January 31, 2022, 6 p.m.: School Board work session to discuss the search. Watch on Channel 99.
The community’s voice will be critical in helping define leadership characteristics, qualities, and qualifications of the next superintendent of FCPS. Parents, staff, students, and community members will be deeply involved in the process.
Updates regarding community engagement, as well as other aspects of the hiring process, will be shared on this webpage and through other methods of communication including email, newsletters, and social media.
The School Board is charged with hiring the new superintendent. In October 2021, the School Board contracted human resources recruitment firm GR Recruiting to conduct a nationwide search for the next Superintendent of Schools.
GR Recruiting has a proven record of hiring top quality education candidates across the United States. The company was selected based on its depth of superintendent search experience with large K-12 school districts, its understanding of the community engagement process, and its focus on future transition support for the School Board and new superintendent. GR Recruiting will ensure the best candidate is selected and in place by July 1, 2022. To contact GR Recruiting, please email Gloria Davis.