About Karen Keys-Gamarra: Karen is an experienced attorney who currently handles family law matters and works as a court-appointed Guardian ad Litem in Northern Virginia representing the best interests of children from diverse backgrounds. As an attorney and as a school board member, Karen focuses on developing solutions for children and families.
School Board Committee/Leadership (Current): Karen is currently Chair of the Comprehensive Planning Development Committee. She is also a member of the Board Audit Committee and serves as a liaison to the Title I Parent Advisory Committee, the Planning Commission, and Educate Fairfax (formerly the Foundation for Fairfax County Public Schools).
Board Accomplishments and Priorities:
- Advocating for equity and quality education issues, including current efforts to establish the John R. Lewis Academy for Public Service, Government and Human Rights at John Lewis High School;
- Expanded the duties of the Auditor General to include a study and review of the FCPS special education programs.
- Improving special education services and inclusion practices;
- Addressing discipline disparities;
- Spearheaded changes to the Child Abuse Reporting Policy
- Improving services to our military-connected students;
- Championing programs and initiatives to support the mental health and emotional well-being of all students;
- Increasing teacher pay; and
- Expanding funding sources.
School Board Committee/Leadership (Previous):
- Board Audit Committee, Chair (2019-2021)
- Fairfax County Planning Commissioner (schools committee member) prior to joining the School Board.
- Court-Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for children
- Formerly an appointed member to the School Board Budget Task Force.
Education: Karen holds a bachelor’s degree from Tulane University and a Juris Doctorate degree from Washington University School of Law.
Personal: Karen and her husband are the proud parents of three sons who attended FCPS through elementary, middle, and high school.
Current Term Began: 9/2017
Current Term Expires: 12/202
Video - 2023 Back to School Message
Sign up to receive Karen's newsletter. You will receive newsletters and other news in your email inbox.
- 2023 June Newsletter
- Special Announcement from Karen Keys-Gamarra
- 2023 May Newsletter
- 2023 April Newsletter
- 2023 March Newsletter
- 2023 February Newsletter
- Last Call: Calendar Feedback Due January 31
- 2023 January Newsletter
- 2022 December Newsletter
- 2022 November Newsletter
- 2022 September Newsletter
- Welcome Back to School (August 2022)
- 2022 Summer Spotlight
About Fairfax County
Fairfax County is divided into nine magisterial districts, which are used for conducting elections. Magisterial districts are unrelated to school boundaries. As one of three At-Large Members, Karen was elected to represent the entire county.
Citizen Advisory Committees
The School Board appoints members to numerous citizen advisory committees to increase community input on specific issues. School Board members each appoint a citizen to represent their district. Advisory committees meet throughout the year and submit an annual report to the Board. Learn more about School Board committees, including citizen advisory committees.
- Advanced Academic Programs Advisory Committee (AAPAC) - Meredith Egwuatu, Keys-Gamarra At-Large Representative
- Adult and Community Education Advisory Committee (ACEAC) - Vacant, Keys-Gamarra At-Large Representative
- Advisory Committee for Students with Disabilities (ACSD) - Vacant, Keys-Gamarra At-Large Representative
- Career and Technical Education Advisory Committee (CTEAC) - Wendy Williams, Keys-Gamarra At-Large Representative
- Family Life Education Curriculum Advisory Committee (FLECAC) - Vanessa Hall, Keys-Gamarra At-Large Representative
- Facilities Planning Advisory Council (FPAC) - Angela Smalls, Keys-Gamarra At-Large Representative
- Human Resources Advisory Committee (HRAC) - Laverne Henson, Keys-Gamarra At-Large Representative
- Minority Student Achievement Oversight Committee (MSAOC) - Laverne Henson, Keys-Gamarra At-Large Representative
- School Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) - Ann Wilkie, Keys-Gamarra At-Large Representative
- Title I Parent Advisory Committee (TPAC) - Members of this committee are selected by school principals.