As a Member-At-Large since September 2017, Karen Keys-Gamarra is Chair of the Audit Committee and also serves as a liaison to the Human Resources Committee and the Fairfax County Planning Commission.
A graduate of Tulane University and Washington University School of Law, Karen is an experienced attorney who currently handles family law matters and works as a court-appointed Guardian ad Litem in Northern Virginia representing the best interests of children from diverse backgrounds. As an attorney and as a school board member, Karen focuses on developing solutions for children and families. Her work on the board includes:
- Advocating for equity and quality education issues, including current efforts to establish the John R. Lewis Academy for Public Service, Government and Human Rights at John Lewis High School;
- Improving special education services and inclusion practices;
- Addressing discipline disparities;
- Improving services to our military-connected students;
- Championing programs and initiatives to support the mental health and emotional well-being of all students;
- Increasing teacher pay; and
- Expanding funding sources.
Karen has a thorough understanding of how state and local agencies can work to improve the lives of children and families. She has worked at the state level, worked for nonprofit organizations, and in private practice. She also served as a Fairfax County Planning Commissioner (schools committee member) prior to joining the School Board. As a volunteer, she served as a Court-Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for children and also worked to combat domestic violence as an advisory board member for a nonprofit organization. She was formerly an appointed member to the School Board Budget Task Force.
Karen and her husband are the proud parents of three sons who attended FCPS through elementary, middle, and high school. She continues to focus on community service to improve the lives of children and families.
Current term expires 12/31/23.
Want to receive newsletters and other news from Karen Keys-Gamarra in your inbox? Sign up to receive Karen's newsletter News You Choose.
- Summer 2021 Newsletter
- May 2021 Announcements
- April 2021 Newsletter
- February 2021 Newsletter
- September 2020 Newsletter
- Summer 2020 Update
- Student Town Hall Meeting
- June 2020 Newsletter
- April 2020 Newsletter
- March 2020 Newsletter
- February 2020 Newsletter
- Spring 2019 Newsletter
Contact Karen Keys-Gamarra
Nelda Brown - School Board Staff Aide