Reopening Schools Plan - Decision Timelines
Details on the timing of decisions related to reopening schools
Timelines for Key Decisions
All decisions will be led by the Fairfax County School Board and senior leadership team. Decisions will be based on the most recent public health data and guidance from the CDC as well as state and county health department. FCPS will utilize a series of scheduled School Board work sessions, town hall meetings, family and staff surveys, and recommendations from the Reopening Schools Task Force to gather and process information about community needs and the best available approach for serving FCPS students, families, and staff under difficult and evolving circumstances.
By June 26, 2020
- Communicate a decision on the operational models that will be available for the first day of the 2020-21 school year.
- Communicate timeline for families to indicate their preference to return with full-time online instruction or return for in-person instruction with social distancing in FCPS schools.
By July 9, 2020
- Finalize the date for the first day of the 2020-21 school year.
By July 15, 2020
- Parents should respond to the enrollment letter to indicate their preferred instructional model for each of their children. This deadline will enable FCPS to plan class schedules for full-time online and in-person instruction.
By July 20, 2020
- Staff should submit their requests for school-aged childcare under the opportunity available for employees providing direct support to students.
By July 21, 2020
- Decide on the beginning-of-year initial continuum level for in-school instruction. This allows families who chose in-person instruction for 2020-21 to know what their children’s instructional model will look like for the start of the school year. This decision is subject to continuous analysis to determine when the continuum level may be dialed in.
By August 17, 2020
- Laptop distribution begins. Each school will provide a safe and efficient laptop distribution process.
By September 2, 2020
- Communicate individual student schedules and teacher/course assignments.
October 14, 2020
Superintendent Scott S. Brabrand provided a Return to School update (PDF, 43 pages) including the following:
- Review FCPS Operational Levels
- Provide FCPS Readiness Levels associated with FCPS Health Metrics, School-based Health Metrics, Operational Metrics, and Student and Safety
- Provide update on COVID Case Notification and Reporting Share
- Tentative Phase-in Schedule for Remaining Student Groups
- Discuss Concurrent Instructional Model