Activities and Athletics
Information on athletics, middle school after-school programs, marching band, and other activities
Some VHSL Academic Activities and Co-Curricular Groups May Resume
As FCPS prepares to bring student groups back to in person instruction, students enrolled in Virginia High School League (VHSL) Academic Activities and Co-Curricular Groups may begin meeting in person as early as January 26. Co-Curricular Groups are connected to instructional classes. High school activities including Virginia High School League sports, band, orchestra, choir, standard publications, and yearbook are offered at every FCPS high school. Many FCPS schools offer additional activities like Broadcasting, Creative Writing, Debate, Forensics, Newspaper, Scholastic Bowl, Robotics and Theater. While these programs have been approved by the Division to be run at this time, specific activities and groups being offered will be a school by school decision based on staffing and sponsor availability. Schools will share offerings directly to students and families.
The Virginia High School League (VHSL) Executive Committee voted unanimously (33-0-0) to adopt the “Championships + 1” schedule for the FY 2021 Athletic and Academic Activities season. Details.
Championships + 1 - Condensed Interscholastic Plan
There has been some confusion as to the start dates for each sport in the Season 1 winter schedule. Basketball and sideline cheer first practices begin on December 7. All other winter sports (gymnastics, indoor track, sideline cheer, swimming & diving, and wrestling) will started in December. Below is each season’s first practice and first contest date schedules. The Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, and Academic Activities full schedules are below.
“Championships + 1” Season 1 Winter Sports Schedule
- Basketball – First Practice – December 7; First Contest Date – December 21
- Gymnastics – First Practice – December 14; First Contest Date – December 28
- Indoor Track – First Practice – December 14; First Contest Date – December 28
- Sideline Cheer – First Practice – December 7
- Swimming & Diving – First Practice – December 14; First Contest Date – December 28
“Championships + 1” Season 2 Fall Sports Schedule
- Competition Cheer – First Practice – February 4; First Contest Date – March 1
- Cross Country – First Practice – February 15; First Contest Date – March 1
- Field Hockey - First Practice – February 15; First Contest Date – March 1
- Football – First Practice – February 4; First Contest Date – February 22
- Golf (Boys) – First Practice – February 15; First Contest Date – March 1
- Golf (Girls) – First Practice – February 15; First Contest Date – March 1
- Volleyball – First Practice – February 15; First Contest Date – March 1
“Championships + 1” Season 3 Spring Sports Schedule
- Baseball – First Practice – April 12; First Contest Date – April 26
- Lacrosse – First Practice – April 12; First Contest Date – April 26
- Soccer – First Practice – April 12; First Contest Date – April 26
- Softball – First Practice – April 12; First Contest Date – April 26
- Tennis – First Practice – April 12; First Contest Date – April 21
- Track & Field – First Practice – April 12; First Contest Date – April 26
More information is available on the VHSL website.
Marching band season has been postponed. If students are able to return to school this fall or winter, we will consider possible marching band performance opportunities that do not conflict with the concert band assessments.
Middle School After-School Program
The Middle School After-School Program (MSASP) is beginning virtually this year, with the possibility of an in-person program when school resumes in-person. The virtual MSASP provides an environment where creativity, enrichment, and inspiration thrive and will consist of synchronous (live) and asynchronous (recorded) activities.
Each middle school will offer virtual after-school activities Monday through Friday beginning shortly after the end of the regular school day and lasting for about two hours. Schools may be offering some virtual programming in which students would participate in activities with students and staff from other FCPS middle schools. A broad spectrum of activities will be offered to engage middle school students in the arts, music, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), physical fitness, cooking, health and wellness, games, language arts, puzzles, and more…
Information regarding the schedule and programming for the virtual after-school program at your middle school is available on your middle school’s website. In order to participate, all students are required to be registered for the after-school program. Information will come from your middle school after-school specialist. Look for it! And check out your school’s website for exact times and program offerings and instructions on how to enroll in an activity!
Buildings, Fields and Gymnasium Use
The reopening of FCPS grounds and facilities to outside non-FCPS or Fairfax County Government will be determined as FCPS determines the plan to return to face-to-face learning.