Early Literacy Program for Arabic Speaking Families
The Early Literacy Program is a free, interactive parent and child program. Parents learn school-readiness strategies to prepare their child for future school success.
All parent programming will be virtual for the 2020-21 school year.
Parents are able to help their children develop essential early literacy skills at home and gain confidence in their own ability to become active partners in their children's education. The program provides information and resources on how parents can establish a positive home-school connection by:
- Understanding the important role parents play as their child's first teachers.
- Recognizing behavioral and academic expectations of Fairfax County Public Schools.
- Becoming familiar with school programs and services such as: interpreters, parent liaisons, health and nutrition services, library services, enrichment programs and before and after school care.
- Parents receive a certificate of participation upon completion of the program, as well as books and other materials.
Registration begins Sept 2020
Virtual Class Schedule Fall 2020-21
Classes begin in October and meet twice a week for 7 weeks.
Fill out the interest form and a Program Leader will get back to you.
Tuesday and Thursday Classes
Classes that meet on Tuesday and Thursday start October 13, 2020:
- Class 1: 9:30 to 11 a.m.
- Class 2: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Class 3: 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Class 4: 1 to 2:30 p.m.
Wednesday and Friday Classes
Classes that meet on Wednesday and Friday start October 14, 2020:
- Class 5: 9:30 to 11 a.m.
- Class 6: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Class 7: 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Class 8: 1 to 2:30 p.m.
- This program is for Fairfax County residents only. Proof of residency will be verified on the first day of class.
- When registering one child, a child has to be at least two years of age by September 30th, 2020.
- When registering two children the younger sibling has to be at least 2 1/2 (DOB on or before March 31, 2020)
- Base schools can be looked up in the Boundary Locator
How to Apply
Call Gigi Hammoud at 703-204-4347.