Virtual Program for School Year 2021-22
Limited Enrollment Based on Health/Medical Need
At Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS), we are looking forward to students returning to in-person learning for five days this fall. However, we understand some students, in very limited circumstances, may have a documented health or medical need for virtual instruction.
What Will Virtual Learning Look Like? View Flyer
Take a look at a virtual learning flyer with key facts for parents about what virtual learning will look like in the fall. Flyer translations are available below:
- Enrollment in the division’s Virtual Program will be limited to students with documented COVID-19 related health/medical needs.
- Division-level virtual programs will be created at the elementary, middle, and high school levels.
- Students will be co-enrolled with the base school.
- Classes will be offered in a 100% virtual format and match the five days per week in-person school schedule as much as possible.
- Students will be virtual for ALL classes.
- Students approved for the Virtual Program will be enrolled for the entire school year. However, the enrolling parent/guardian may contact their base school to request a return to in-person learning at the semester break, January 25.
- Eligibility for the Virtual Program is LIMITED and will be based on a documented COVID-19 related health/medical need. This eligibility is not extended to siblings or other students in a household.
- Families will be required to submit a COVID-19 Health Eligibility Form that includes the healthcare provider’s documentation of the student’s health/medical diagnosis that requires accommodations for learning in a virtual environment.
- If a parent/guardian has a hardship and is unable to access a medical provider, school staff (social workers or school counselor) will work with the family to connect them with the appropriate resources.
Athletics and Activities
- Options for students enrolled in the Virtual Program to participate in activities or athletics will be made on a case-by-case basis following a review of medical appropriateness and safety.
- Marching Band will not be available to virtual students.
- Course offerings will be subject to student enrollment and staffing availability.
- Some specialized programs and courses will NOT be available in the Virtual Program.
- In order to meet graduation requirements, some limited sections of concurrent instruction may be provided at the division level in the Virtual Program.
- Fine and performing arts courses and programs will be limited in the Virtual Program.
- The following courses and programs will not be available in the Virtual Program:
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math)
- Advanced Academic Programs (AAP) Level II
- Specialized Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses
- Select Fine Arts courses
- Select Dual Enrollment courses
- Marching Band
Dual Enrollment Courses
- AP Biology DE
- AP Environmental Science DE
- Auto Collision DE
- Auto Technology DE
- Chemistry 2 DE
- HVAC DE (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning)
- Culinary Arts 1, 2, 3 DE
- Early Childhood Careers DE
- Emergency Medical Technician DE
- IB Environmental Science DE
- Music Computer Technology DE
- Teacher for Tomorrow DE
Career and Technical Education Courses
- Intro to Culinary Arts
- Culinary 1, 2, & 3
- Fashion Careers 1 & 2
- EMT (Emergency Medical Technician)
- LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse)
- Intro to Nursing
- 911 Dispatch
- Dental Careers
- Patient Care Technician
- Pharmacy Tech
- PT/OT (Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy)
- Veterinary Sciences
- Medical Assistant
- Global STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
- Auto Collision
- Auto Technology
- Student Auto Sales
- Construction Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning)
- TV Media
- JROTC (Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps)
Fine Arts Courses
- Academy Theatre Arts
- Academy Musical Theatre
- Academy Actors Studio
- Academy Dance
- Hip Hop Dance
- Broadway Dance
- Ceramics 1-4
- Marching Band
Fairfax County Public Schools believes that in-person learning is best for students. Learn more about how we are welcoming students back to school buildings for five days a week of instruction for the 2021-22 school year.
FCPS Virtual Program Staff
Are you a current FCPS teacher, instructional assistant, or public health training assistant interested in transferring to the FCPS Virtual Program for the 2021-22 school year? Learn about opportunities, requirements, and process on the Employee Hub.