Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Families
Removing barriers to educational success imposed on children of military families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents.
Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) establishes a set of rules designed to remove barriers to educational success imposed on children of military families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents. View the Virginia Code of Law for more information.
- The compact is in effect in all 50 states and in DoDEA schools.
- Armed with the appropriate information, most decisions about a transfer student can be made at the school level.
- Through the registration process, it is important to establish whether the MIC3 applies to the transferring student. If it does, special care should be taken to fully explore how the compact should be used.
The impacts generally fall into 4 categories:
- Enrollment (immunizations, Entrance Age, Records)
- Course/Grade Placement and Attendance (Program placement, Special Education Services, absences related to deployment)
- Eligibility (non-custodial parent, extracurricular participation)
- Graduation (course waivers, verified credits, transfer in senior year)
Supporting Transitions for Military Families
FCPS supports Military Families as they transition to and from our school systemMilitary Families
Resources and supports available to Military Families in Fairfax CountyView resources for Military Families