EL Support Process for College Board Testing
Understand the FCPS process to request EL supports for College Board tests
English learners (ELs) who will be participating in the October 13, 2021, SAT School Day may be eligible for testing supports.
The content on this page provides information about the Fairfax County Public Schools process for requesting College Board EL testing supports. This information is included as enclosure 4 in the SAT School Day testing notification shared with parents and guardians in June-July 2021.
Printable College Board EL support forms are available with FCPS translations
Enclosure 4 - EL Supports Process for College Board Testing
To Parents and/or Guardians of English Learners:
English learners (ELs), as defined by federal and state policy, are eligible for testing supports on the SAT School Day assessment. College Board EL supports are different from Standards of Learning (SOL) EL testing accommodations. Information about eligibility for EL testing supports is available on the College Board website (https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/educators/k-12/english-learner-supports). Please note that EL supports are not available for the PSAT/NMSQT.
Unlike testing accommodations for students with disabilities, EL supports are temporary and can only be used on the test date for which they have been requested. The school may not provide EL supports without consent from you and your student. Parents/guardians must give their input and consent to the school by August 10, 2021, using the forms enclosed here.
Below you will find information on possible College Board EL supports. As you and your student consider which EL support(s) may be appropriate for the SAT School Day, please keep in mind the following:
- the content, format, and purpose of the SAT assessment (https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/inside-the-test); and
- implications on overall testing time or setting for some accommodations (see notes on Enclosure 5).
If you would like to request College Board EL support(s) for your student, follow these three steps.
- Complete the EL Supports Input Form (Enclosure 5)
- Circle the support(s) in the list that you would like to request for your student;
- Initial and date at the bottom of the form to confirm your input;
- Complete the EL Supports Request Consent Form (Enclosure 6)
- Write in your student's name, school, and date of birth;
- With your student, sign and date to verify your consent for release of records to the College Board;
- Return copies of both forms to the high school by August 10, 2021.
After receiving your forms, school staff will review your request and contact you if there are any questions about your selected EL support(s).
Please contact your student's high school at ___________________ if you have questions about EL supports for SAT School Day or wish to discuss the request process.
When returning the EL support input and consent forms (Enclosures 5 and 6), send or deliver to:
_________________________ High School
____________________, VA ___________