PSAT Accommodations Process
Understand the accommodations process for the PSAT
The following provides content from Enclosure 1 of the division's PSAT notification letter.
TO: Parents and/or Guardians of Students with Disabilities
FROM: High School Principal
Students with disabilities who have testing accommodations documented in an IEP or 504 Plan may be eligible for accommodations on the PSAT/NMSQT test. However, not all testing accommodations in an IEP or 504 Plan are permitted by the College Board, and not all students with Standards of Learning (SOL) testing accommodations will require these accommodations on the PSAT/NMSQT. Information about eligiblity for PSAT/NMSQT testing accommodations is available on the College Board website (https://accommodations.collegeboard.org/eligibility).
For a student to receive PSAT/NMSQT accommodations, the College Board must approve a formal request for the student. Each high school has a designated staff member who serves as the SSD (Services for Students with Disabilities) coordinator and works with the College Board to make these requests. All accommodations requests are due from the school to the College Board in August. The school may not make a request without consent from you and your student. Parents/guardians must give their input and consent to the school by August 15, 2019.
Below you will find information on possible College Board testing accommodations. As you and your student consider which accommodation(s) may be appropriate for the PSAT/NMSQT, please keep in mind the following:
- the content, format, and purpose of the assessment (https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/inside-the-test);
- implications on overall testing time or setting for some accommodations (see notes on Enclosure 2); and
- duration of the accommodation approval (once approved, College Board accommodations must be used for all future College Board tests, including SAT and AP exams, unless a written refusal is submitted).
If you would like the school to request College Board accommodation(s) for your student, follow these three steps.
- Complete the Accommodations Input Form (Enclosure 2)
- Circle the accommodation(s) in the list that you would like the school to request from your student's IEP or 504 Plan;
- Initial and date at the bottom of the form to confirm your input;
- Complete the Accommodations Request Consent Form (Enclosure 3)
- Write in your student's name, school, and date of birth;
- With your student, sign and date to verify your consent for release of records to the College Board;
- Return copies of both forms to the high school by August 15, 2019.
After receiving your forms, school staff will review your student's IEP or 504 Plan and academic records to verify the testing accommodation(s) and collect documentation the College Board requires for each request. Staff will contact you if there are any question about your selected accommodation(s).
Please contact your student's high school at ___________________ if you have questions about testing accommodations for the PSAT/NMSQT or wish to discuss the request process.
When returning accommodation input and consent forms (Enclosures 2 and 3), send or deliver to:
_________________________ High School
____________________, VA ___________
|Notification Letter: Notice of Testing for All Students|
|Enclosure 2: Accommodation Input Form for Students with Disabilities|
|Enclosure 3: Accommodations Request Consent Form for Students with Disabilities|