Student Laptop Responsible Use Guidelines
Helpful guidance on how to take care of FCPS devices
- An e-mail receipt has been sent to your student fcpsschools.net e-mail account showing you have been issued an FCPS laptop.
- The device will be used responsibly at school and at home, in accordance to the Acceptable Use Policy outlined in the Student Rights and Responsibilities.
- FCPS borrowed Student Laptop should be used only in conjunction with projects relating to the educational programs of FCPS. It may not be used as a personal or social laptop for the student.
- The laptop is valuable and should be treated appropriately. It should not be thrown or dropped. It should never be placed on the roof or hood of a car, on the sidewalk or street, or treated in any way that may cause it to be crushed, dropped, or damaged.
- The Student Laptop is for your use only. Friends, other students, siblings, cousins, or other people should not use it. Keep away from pets at all times.
- The Student Laptop should never be left unattended in the classroom, on the bus, in the hallway, in the lunchroom, in the gym, or any other public place.
- The laptop should not be used near water, household chemicals, food or drink, or other liquids that could damage its electronic components.
- When carried outside, the laptop must be protected in such a way that rain, snow, ice, excessive heat and or cold will not damage it.
- The laptop should be kept in a secure location at all times when not in use.
- All files should be saved in Schoology or Google Apps for Education, not on the computer hard drive.
- The laptop should be fully charged when brought to school for use during the day.
- The laptop should be powered off completely, one time per day.
- Tech support is provided at your school, for your laptop, during school hours only. DO NOT TAKE THE LAPTOP TO A RETAIL STORE FOR REPAIR. The laptop is covered by a FCPS warranty.
- Technology Support Staff are available at your school during designated locations and times. Additional information will be provided by each school regarding how to place a request for technology support and services.
- School staff should be informed of a lost/stolen laptop as soon as possible. If you believe your device was stolen, report it immediately to the police.
Listed below is the cost to replace items if they are not returned at the end of the school year during collection:
Laptop replacement ($472.00) Price includes 4 year accidental damage protection.
Power adapter replacement ($28.00)
Note: If you leave the school, it is your responsibility to return all the above items. Any items not returned will be recorded as debt owed to the school.