Two Hundred Thirty-Seven Students Named 2020 National Merit Semifinalists
Two hundred thirty-seven students from 17 high schools have been named semifinalists by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation for 2020. Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST), which also serves as the Governor’s Regional School for Northern Virginia, has 157 semifinalists.
All semifinalists are eligible to compete for 7,600 National Merit Scholarship awards worth more than $31 million, to be awarded in spring 2020.
FCPS 2020 National Merit semifinalists are:
- Annandale High School: Zakaria Belkhayat and Susan Connell.
- Centreville High School: Ga Won Choi, Raymond Del Vecchio, Michael Kim, Christine Park, Grace Shim, and Revanth Vejju.
- Chantilly High School: Rithika Balguri, Yifan Chen, Gayatri Chintala, Timothy Koh, Madeleine LeBeau, Angelina Lu, Thomas Maher, Anastasia Obernberger, Joshua Pak, Justin Park, and Shreya Tripathy.
- Edison High School: Helen Le.
- Fairfax High School: Vishwa Arun, Aashish Gullanki, Isha Melige, Lara Nayar, Anthony Nguyen, Ryan Phillips, Melissa Trivett.
- Falls Church High School: Carlos Perez.
- Herndon High School: Pauline Tillotson.
- Lake Braddock Secondary School: Noelle Brokamp, Joon Mun, Patrick Sheridan, Amy Smith, and Aparna Trivedi
- Langley High School: Jayeesh Chennupati, Isaac Chiu, Jaehyug Cho, Stephanie Liu, Daniel Mousavi, Jeffrey Pei, Shahan Salam, and Karina Wugang.
- Madison High School: Katherine Helmicki, Justin Hu, Aryan Pandya, Anjali Sardana, and Hanwen Zhang.
- Marshall High School: Elise Ebert, Sophia Konde, and Sophia Tedesco.
- McLean High School: Flavia Carcani, Benjamin Hacker, Hyohyun Jung, Allison Lai, Sarah Levy, Priya Shah, and Ashley Xing.
- Oakton High School: Albert Ding, Aditi Iyengar, Margaret Mark, Mahi NarayananNair, Anna Sparling, Amanda Taylor, Christina Wang, Gloria Wang, and Nathaniel Yoon.
- Robinson Secondary School: Vedant Balu, Josephine George, and Pristina Koon.
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST):Victoria Agrinya, Mikhail Allen, Benjamin Altermatt, Joseph Amsbary, Amy Appler, Andrew Arnold, Yash Arora, Sabrina Atkin, Neha Bagalkot, Daniel Beckstrand, Ryan Berry, Vinay Bhaip, Shambhavi Bhati, Joshua Boisvert, Clara Boles, Aneesh Boreda, Ian Burke, Sabrina Cai, Jae Canetti, David Cha, Khushi Chawla, Jessica Chen, Sophia Cheng, Rohan Cherukuri, Anoushka Chintada, Grace Chong, Catheirne Choo, Alex Chung, Dahyoung Chung, Sebastian Criado, Param Damie, Eva DeCesare, Isabelle Deng, Leonardo DiPerna, Nitin Elavarasu, Trenton Elliott, Alexander Emmert, Aimee Feng, Justin Feng, Sherrie Feng, Brandon Fogg, Saketh Gabbita, Shubham Goda, Joshua Gong, Victoria Graf, Sarah Gu, Ankit Gupta, Stephanie Hachem, Reed Hamilton, Justin Han, Daniel Hong, Evan Huang, Sheila Iyer, Sherzoy Jan, Yash Jha, Steven Jia, Alex Jian, Kenneth Johnson, John Jones, Rohan Kalra, Benjamin Kang, Summer Keating, Mikhail Khan, Madelyn Khoury, Miranda Khoury, Sophia Kianni, Abigail Kim, Brandon Kim, Yeonwoo Kim, Neeyanth Kopparapu, Michael Kruppa, Shreya Kuchipudi, Aditya Kumar, Tanya Kurnootala, Keegan Lanzillotta, Steven Le, Audric Lebovitz, Sung Hyun Lee, Ann Li, Annabel Li, Daniel Li, Jenny Li, Jerry Li, Kathleen Li, Megan Li, Catherine Liang, Bryan Lu, Edward Lue, David Luo, Sarah Luthra, Grace Mak, Neel Mandapati, Antonio Martin, Sanjana Meduri, Denaly Min, Rishabh Misra, Rahul Mittal, David Montenegro, Joshua Mutterperl, Prithvi Nathan, Valerie Nayak, Ralph Nester, Manu Onteeru, Svetlana Pack, Trishya Pagadala, Philip Pan, Tiffany Parise, Tommy Park, Sohom Paul, Adele Peng, Malavika Pillai, Zachary Pracher, Sahan Raghavan, Shreya Raghuram, Rukmini Raman, Anvitha Ramanujam, Ronith Ranjan, Saba Rentia, Asha Rollins, Matthew Saenz, Ranya Schoenberger, Ananya Sen, Kunal Sharma, Vaibhav Sharma, Crystal Shi, Vankata Somesula, Michelle Song, Aravind Sreeram, Tuckery Stanley, David Sun, Sylvia Tan, Dennis Tian, Jialin Tso, Jore Vismante, Rohan Voddhi, Timothy Vu, Sonika Vuyyuru, Emily Wang, Kenneth Wang, William Wang, Nicholas Wilson, Jacob Wilusz, Odin Woitek, Katherine Wu, Shannon Xiao, Ryan Xu, William Xu, Sreya Yadlapalli, Mia Yang, Winstone Yang, Emily Ye, Andrew Yoon, Jessica Yoon, Richard Zhan, Carol Zhang, Lilian Zhang, and Jennifer Zheng.
- Westfield High School: Nathaniel Jun.
- Woodson High School: Bridget Cassata, Ishan Kalburge, Khang Le, Ethan Lee, Catherine Liu, Jenny Park, Jessica Suh, Pratistha Timilsina, Samuel Wright, and Zhiyao Zhang.
Approximately 16,000 high school seniors were named National Merit Scholarship semifinalists for 2020. More than 1.5 million juniors entered the 2020 National Merit program by taking the 2018 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT®), which serves as the initial screen of program entrants.
The nationwide pool of semifinalists, which represents less than one percent of U.S. high school seniors, includes the highest scoring entrants in each state. The number of semifinalists in a state is proportional to the state’s percentage of the national total of graduating seniors.These determinations are made by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, not FCPS or individual schools.
Three types of Merit Scholarship awards will be offered in 2020: National Merit $2,500 scholarships, corporate-sponsored scholarships, and college-sponsored scholarships.
Merit Scholarship winners will be announced in spring 2020.
Note: For more information, contact the FCPS Office of Communication and Community Relations at 571-423-1200.