Two FCPS Crossing Guards Named Winners of Virginia’s Most Outstanding Crossing Guard Awards
Two Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) crossing guards have been named winners of the 2017-18 Virginia’s Outstanding Crossing Guard Awards. FCPS winners are Beeda Lee-Pawlak, who is assigned to Churchill Road Elementary and Haycock Elementary Schools, and Anne Rodriguez, who is assigned to Lake Anne Elementary and Hughes Middle Schools.
Lee-Pawlak, a first-year crossing guard, is praised for “expertly managing the busy intersection of Westmoreland Street and Haycock Road.” She approaches motorists with a friendly and firm demeanor, resulting in clear communication on how vehicles should operate and minimal traffic backup. Bus drivers understand exactly when to stop and turn without hesitation or confusion. Parents praise her for her diligence, kindness, and control that enable students to arrive at school smiling and ready to learn. Despite the busy traffic at that intersection, parents say they feel confident knowing that Law-Pawlak is there to work with their children. “Her whistle, uniform, and hand motions are always crisp and perfect,” said one parent. “I have never seen a crossing guard who does her job so well. It prompted me to call the school just to find out who she is so I could nominate her.”
Rodriguez is a five-year veteran who expertly manages walkers, carpoolers, and buses while making potentially negative and chaotic situations simple to navigate. Every walker and bike rider is greeted with a smile, and many students receive high-fives. She learns the students’ names, as well of those of their siblings and parents. Rodriguez is praised for being able to make tired, grumpy kids happy again. “One would be hard-pressed to find someone who loves their job more than Mrs. Anne,” says a parent. “She high-fives or stoops to hug little ones, acknowledging every single person—and sometimes dances a bit when on the job. She has a warm smile she uses often, and she makes the start of the day pleasant in every way.”
FCPS crossing guards are employees of the Fairfax County Police Department.
Also nominated for the Most Outstanding Crossing Guard Awards were:
- Edie Adcock (Colvin Run Elementary and Wolftrap Elementary).
- Joe McDonald (Coates Elementary and Hutchison Elementary).
- James Callaghan (Fairfax High).
- Kimberly Barber (Lane Elementary).
- Tina Harrison (Fairfax Villa Elementary).
- Sherri King (Lake Braddock Secondary, Orange Hunt Elementary, Cherry Run Elementary, and White Oaks Elementary).
- Tina Dove (Canterbury Woods Elementary).
- Shirley Hanson (Orange Hunt Elementary).
- Leslie Bazemore (Rolling Valley Elementary).
- Violette Girgis (Hayfield Secondary, Clermont Elementary).
- Art Walker (Lorton Elementary and Laurel Hill Elementary).
- Gia Tony (Rocky Run Middle and London Towne Elementary).
- Leoda Fleming (Greenbriar West Elementary and Lees Corner Elementary).
- Arlene Keels (Westlawn Elementary).
- Daniel Bunaugh (Cunningham Park Elementary and Freedom Hill Elementary).
- Janet Fiegleson (Hunt Valley Elementary).
- Cathy Stride (Thoreau Middle and Cunningham Park Elementary).
- Wendy Yorkdale (Clearview Elementary).
For more information, contact the FCPS Office of Communication and Community Relations at 571-423-1200.