Edison Academy to Host 2019 Apprenticeships and Skilled Workforce Career Fair
High school students and recent graduates interested in the construction-related trades, service industries, manufacturing, and information technology are invited to attend the Apprenticeships and Skilled Workforce Career Fair on Thursday, November 7, at Edison Academy. The fair is designed to encourage interest among high school students and recent graduates in the in-demand skilled career fields that are attainable through two-year degree programs, certifications, apprenticeships or on-the-job training.
Fairfax County high school students, recent graduates, and their parents are invited to attend this free event to meet business, education, and industry leaders from Northern Virginia who offer skilled workforce employment, education, training, and apprenticeship programs. The fair will be held from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on November 7 and is sponsored by Wegmans Food Markets.
Careers for skilled workers, particularly in the construction-related trades, service industries, manufacturing, and information technology are growing. Many require less than two years of education to attain certifications or an associate degree while other careers may offer employment immediately after high school graduation through apprenticeship and on-the-job training. Salaries and wages are competitive. Many employers offer opportunities to their employees for educational assistance, enabling them to rapidly advance. This event promotes these career opportunities.
Business, industry, and educational organizations who have signed on to exhibit to date include:
• A & M Drywall Construction, Inc.
• Auto Dealer Education Institute (ADEI)
• Beckstrom Electric
• Bricklayers and Craftworkers (BAC) Local 1, Maryland, Virginia, DC
• Burke & Herbert Bank
• Climate Heating and Cooling
• Cropp Metcalfe
• EVI – Emergency Vehicle Installations, Corp.
• Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services
• Fairfax County Department of Vehicle Services
• Fairfax County Land Development Services
• Fairfax County Public Schools - Office of Facilities Management
• Fairfax County Public Schools Department of Information Technology, Field Services
• Fairfax County Public Schools Human Resources
• Fairfax County Public Schools, Adult and Community Education (ACE)
• Fairfax Memorial
• Fairfax Water
• Ford Motor Company
• Hilton Old Town Alexandria
• Hyatt Regency Crystal City
• IEC Chesapeake
• Ironworkers Local 5
• John C. Flood, Inc.
• L.F. Jennings, Inc.
• Laborers International Union of North America
• Lillique Training Institute
• Lincoln Technical Institute
• IBEW Local 26 (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee
• Marine Evolutions, Inc.
• Markon Solutions
• Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
• National Association of Power Engineers
• National Tire and Battery
• Northern Virginia Community College GPS
• Northern Virginia Community College Automotive Program
• Northern Virginia Community College- HVAC Program
• Paul Mitchell
• The AOBA Educational Foundation
• The Tint Shop VA
• Thos. Somerville Company
• Trademasters Service, Inc.
• U.S. Army
• Virginia Army National Guard
• Virginia Department of Labor
• Virginia Tire and Auto
• Wells Fargo
FCPS students, parents, recent graduates, school counselors, career coaches, and others who wish to attend should register online.
Edison Academy and Edison High School are Fairfax County public schools located at 5801 Franconia Road in the Alexandria area of Fairfax County.
Our Wegmans Food Market sponsors are located at Hilltop Village Center in Alexandria, Fairfax, Chantilly, and other Virginia locations.
For more information about this event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org