Return to School - Fall 2020 Planning
There are 3 possible approaches to the opening of school in Fall 2020. The school board will decide by the end of June after consulting with the Fairfax County Health Department and other local, state and national public health agencies.
Distance Learning in FCPS
From Tuesday, April 14, 2020, through June 12, 2020, students in PreK-12 will take part in distance learning. Learn more about the plan in FCPS.
Coronavirus Update - Food Resources: For Those in Need, and How to Contribute
How to find assistance for food and how to help when schools are closed.
Coronavirus Update - Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to questions we are receiving from parents, students, and the community. Content is being updated regularly.
Coronavirus Update - Distance Learning Plan
FCPS has developed a Distance Learning Plan for Continuity of Learning through the school closures of spring 2020 including plan support for students with disabilities, English learners, students without reliable access to technology, family support, and live streaming options.
Coronavirus Update - Superintendent's Messages to the Community
FCPS Superintendent Scott Brabrand provides regular updates to the community.
Coronavirus Update – Mental Health and Community Resources
Information on mental health resources is and other community resources is available.
Coronavirus Update - Videos and Fact Sheets
Fact Sheets and Video messages regarding the coronavirus are included here.
Coronavirus Update – Fairfax County Updates
Get the latest information from Fairfax County including health information closures.
- On June 9, Governor Ralph Northam announced a phased approach that allows Virginia schools to slowly resume in-person classes for summer school and the coming academic year. The K-12 phased reopening plan was developed by the Office of the Secretary of Education, Virginia Department of Health, and the Virginia Department of Education and is informed by guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- In accordance with Fairfax County’s Phase 2 reopening guidelines, Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is reopening additional outdoor areas on school grounds to the community.
- In support of the governor’s announcement, and in response to the ongoing concerns about the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in our region, Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) has begun to plan for the 2020-21 school year.
- FCPS is working with the Fairfax County Health Department (FCHD) and closely monitoring the health crisis globally associated with novel coronavirus infections (COVID-19), as well as any impact it may have locally.
- The latest information from Fairfax County is available.
- Fairfax County Public Schools will be providing emergency grab and go breakfast and lunches at no cost for students at several FCPS and community sites. More details about the food program.
- School Age Child Care: SACC centers will be closed until further notice. Additional information and any updates will be communicated to SACC families.
- All field trips, extracurricular activities, interscholastic contests, community use activities, and after-school programs are canceled until the end of the academic year.
- We have also been flooded with generous offers from employees and community members to volunteer at our food distribution sites. Due to state training requirements for food distribution, we are encouraging those interested in helping to contact one of our community partners.
For updates and more information about novel coronavirus:
Key Messages and Actions for COVID-19 Prevention and Control in Schools (World Health Organization)