Reopening Schools Plan - Decision Timelines
Details on the timing of decisions related to reopening schools
Timelines for Key Decisions
All decisions will be led by the Fairfax County School Board and senior leadership team. Decisions will be based on the most recent public health data and guidance from the CDC as well as state and county health department. FCPS will utilize a series of scheduled School Board work sessions, town hall meetings, family and staff surveys, and recommendations from the Reopening Schools Task Force to gather and process information about community needs and the best available approach for serving FCPS students, families, and staff under difficult and evolving circumstances.
By June 26, 2020
- Communicate a decision on the operational models that will be available for the first day of the 2020-21 school year.
- Communicate timeline for families to indicate their preference to return with full-time online instruction or return for in-person instruction with social distancing in FCPS schools. Family preferences will be due mid-July.
By July 10, 2020
- Parents should respond to the enrollment letter to indicate their preferred instructional model for each of their children by Friday, July 10. This deadline will enable FCPS to plan class schedules for full-time online and in-person instruction.
By August 14, 2020
- Communicate individual student schedules and teacher/course assignments. For students who will attend in person, schedules will include information on which days of the week they will attend at the school building.
By August 21, 2020
- Communicate technology distribution plans.