Early Literacy Program for African Heritage Families
The Early Literacy Program is a free, interactive parent and child program. Parents learn school-readiness strategies to prepare their child for future school success.
Parents are able to help their children develop essential early literacy skills at home and gain confidence in their own ability to become active partners in their children's education. The program provides information and resources on how parents can establish a positive home-school connection by:
- Understanding the important role parents play as their child's first teachers.
- Recognizing behavioral and academic expectations of Fairfax County Public Schools.
- Becoming familiar with school programs and services such as: interpreters, parent liaisons, health and nutrition services, library services, enrichment programs and before and after school care.
- Parents receive a certificate of participation upon completion of the program, as well as books and other materials.
Registration starts September 2019
Classes meet October 2019 - December 2019.
Locations and Information
Dates might change due to inclement weather or by school request.
3434 Campbell Drive
Alexandria, VA 22303
Mon/Wed (Session 1)
Tue/Thurs (Session 2)
|Lorton Station ES
9298 Lewis Chapel Rd.
Lorton, VA 22079
|Friday Only||10 a.m.-noon|
8410 Old Mt. Vernon Hwy
Alexandria, VA 22309
- This program is for Fairfax County residents only. Proof of residency will be verified on the first day of class.
- When registering one child, a child has to be at least two years of age by September 30th, 2019.
- When registering two children the younger sibling has to be at least 2 1/2 (DOB on or before March 31, 2019)
- Base schools can be looked up in the Boundary Locator
How to Apply
Applications can be faxed to 703-204-4311 or mailed to:
Family and School Partnerships
2334 Gallows Road
Dunn Loring, VA 22027