TJHSST Application for Junior Round

Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) Admissions


All students interested in applying to the junior class must submit a copy of their high school transcript through first semester of 10th grade and PSAT or SAT scores, no later than 4:00 pm on April 27, 2018, for evaluation of eligibility before they can begin an application. Please include a cover letter providing the following information:

  • Your Name
  • Name of your current school
  • Home telephone number
  • Mailing address
  • Contact information for your parent(s)/legal guardian (including phone numbers and email addresses)

Send all materials to the TJHSST Admissions Office. You may scan and e-mail your materials or you may FAX them to 571-423-3777, but you will not be able to begin an application at that time. If you are found to be eligible, you will be given instructions on how to complete an application.


All Junior Round applicants must submit a copy of their high school transcript that includes final 9th grade marks and first semester 10th grade marks for all high school enrolled courses at the time of application. In addition, all applicants must submit a transcript showing final marks for all high school credits earned prior to 9th grade, (if not included on the high school transcript.)

Residency Requirements

All junior round applicants must, at the time of application, live with a parent or legal guardian who resides full time in, and meets the residency requirements of, a school division that participates in TJHSST. (FCPS Regulation 3355.12) The applicant and the parent/legal guardian, therefore, must actually reside (be present) in the participating school division at the time of application. 
The school divisions currently participating in TJHSST are:

  • Arlington County
  • Fairfax County (includes Fairfax City)
  • Falls Church City
  • Loudoun County
  • Prince William County

If one family member is living here, but other family members including the potential applicant are living elsewhere and will be moving to join the resident family member after May 26, 2017, the student is not eligible to apply to TJHSST for the 2017-2018 school year. 

A very limited exception to the residency requirement is provided only for active-duty military with current PCS (permanent change of station) orders. Retirement orders do not apply. Orders must show that you are reporting to this area after May 25, 2018, and before September 1, 2018. Orders also must show names of family members who are moving with you.

Proof of Residency 

If you reside in a participating jurisdiction and your applicant attends a private school or is homeschooled, then proof of residency is required. When submitting an application, please include each of the three documents described on the Proof of Residency Form.  

Contact the Admissions Office at for additional information regarding proof of residency requirements.

Testing Requirements

All applicants to the junior class of TJHSST must take either the PSAT or SAT. College Board changed the versions of both exams and the Admissions Office will accept both the old and new versions of either test, which includes the following: 

  • PSAT 8/9
  • PSAT 10
  • SAT 

Copies of your official PSAT or SAT score reports must be submitted along with your high school transcript directly to the TJHSST Admissions Office by April 27, 2018, before you can receive an application. Make sure that the test scores clearly show your name. 

We do not accept or consider ACT,  ASPIRE or any other standardized tests as a substitution for the PSAT or SAT. 

The PSAT is offered each year through local schools. Contact your current school's student services/guidance office for information about test date and registration for that testing. Make sure that you will receive an official score report (you will need to send a copy of the report you receive with your application). 

If you school does not offer the PSAT and you cannot make arrangements to take it elsewhere, you must take the SAT.

The College Board administers the SAT. Go to to obtain information about the SAT and to register for that test. Your current school's student services/guidance office can assist  you with this process. 

Application for Junior Round of Admission

Link to Junior application portal