Advanced Academic Programs - Level IV Appeals
Understanding the Process for Advanced Academic Program - Level IV Appeals
Final Decision Letter will be mailed by August 2020.
If your student is found ineligible for Level IV AAP services, parents/guardians may submit an appeal.
Appeal packets must include new information that was not part of the original screening file. The new data will be added to the original screening file for review by the appeals committee.
Please note: Only appeals from the most recent screening cycle will be reviewed according to deadlines in the ineligible letter you received.
To submit an appeal:
- Complete the Appeal Form
- Gather new information for consideration. Note: Notebooks, dividers, hole-punched binders, spirals, and pocket folders may not be submitted. Materials will not be returned. The following materials may be included in an Appeal Packet:
- Appeal Form
- Cover Letter addressed to the Appeals Committee
- Parent/Guardian Questionnaire
- Student work samples (not to exceed five single-sided 8½” x 11” pages). Student work may include copies of art work, original stories, and other student projects on standard writing, bond, or copy paper.
- Additional information (not to exceed five single-sided 8½” x 11” pages) may also include:
- Quarterly report of Level III advanced academic services from the local school
- Certificates or Awards
- Letters of commendation from adults who know your child, including parent or other relative, music or art teacher, coach, etc., may be hand-written or typed. All FCPS staff input must be included in the GBRS in the original file. Additional information and/or letters from FCPS staff should not be solicited and will not be considered.
- New Test Results:
o At GMU through the Cognitive Assessment Program (703-993-4200). GMU offers group testing at no charge for children who qualify for free or reduced lunch.
o Through a private, state-licensed psychologist. A copy of their license must accompany results.
- WISC V, CAS, Stanford Binet, Kaufman
- Cognitive Abilities Test
- Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test
- Email the signed Appeal Form and the new data in one email with all information to AAPappeals@fcps.edu no later than July 15, 2020. The decision of the appeals committee is final. We hope to mail appeals decisions by the end of July, but that date may change depending on the uncertainty of school closures.
- Appeal decisions are final. However, you may apply for Level IV services during the next published screening cycle.