Donate to FCPS: More Information
What can be donated and common questions answered
Donations of all kinds are offered to FCPS each year, with many of the items accepted and integrated into the school system. However, there not all items can be accepted. To ensure that the item is something FCPS will be able to utilize, please refer to the donation category descriptions below for further information.
If you are looking to donate money to a particular school or program, please donate via the Foundation for FCPS, as it is the 501(c)3 philanthropic arm of the school system and accepts monetary gifts from the community on behalf of FCPS.
Donation Categories and Descriptions of Acceptable Items
An FCPS staff member works with schools to incorporate donated items into instructional environments.
*Please note that the school system cannot accept kilns or kiln accessories of any type.
- paper cutters
- drafting tables
- dry mount presses
- slab rollers
- printing presses
- new art supplies
The school system’s Department of Information Technology works with schools to incorporate donated audio and video equipment into instructional environments. All equipment must be in good working order, and given the continual improvements in audio and video equipment, we may not accept items which are older than five years.
School age books are often needed for home reading programs and classroom libraries. Not all books are accepted. Fairfax County Public Schools can no longer take magazines or encyclopedias.
Fairfax County Public Schools accepts certain building and landscape equipment and materials, which likely will be used in instructional programs in construction technology programs.
The following schools have their own clothing closets for families in need. Donors can contact the schools directly to find out if the school has a need for the type of clothing that is available.
Donations for these items will not be handled via the FCPS Donations Portal.
If interested in donating prom dresses and accessories, please see information below under Prom Wear.
- Annandale High School: My Friend’s Closet
- Annandale Terrace Elementary School: Dina's Boutique
- Bailey’s Elementary School: Helping Hands Boutique
- Braddock Elementary School: Mobile Clothing Shop
- Brookfield Elementary School
- Herndon High School
- London Towne Elementary School
- Mantua Elementary
- Poe Middle School: Raven's Nest
- Quander Road School: My Friend's Closet
- Stone Middle School (winter items only)
- Woodson High School (winter items, prom/homecoming clothes only)
Several schools have food donation pantries for students and their families. The FCPS Donations Portal does not handle these donations.
Please contact the school directly for more information.
- Annandale High School: AHS PTSA Food Pantry
- Annandale Terrace Elementary School
- Fairfax High School: A Place to Eat @ Fairfax
- Falls Church High School
- Jackson Middle School
- Lanier Middle School: Eagle's Nest
- Marshall High School: Marshall Market
- Mantua Elementary
- Oakton High School
- Westfield High School: Erin Peterson Fund Fuel Station
All furniture must be in good condition - we cannot repair broken furniture or accept anything requiring parts to be purchased.
FCPS is in continuous need of the following items:
- office chairs (rolling desk chairs and side office chairs)
- small bookcases
- office desks and other office furniture
- conference tables
FCPS also accepts appliances in working order (refrigerators, televisions, etc.).
Fairfax County Public Schools accepts donated medical equipment and supplies provided they meet acceptable specifications regardless of whether they are donated centrally or to a particular school facility. The equipment and supplies are valuable for teaching purposes in use with patient simulators and mannequins for student practice.
Donations are also accepted for gently used medical equipment and aids (wheelchairs, walkers, etc.) to be used as supplementary support items for students in our special education programs and centers. If in doubt of the item being of one in need, please submit the information via the donations portal and an FCPS staff member will be in contact to discuss.
- Non-mercury and latex free items.
- Sterile items in sealed packages (may be past expiration dates).
- Hospital room equipment and supplies.
- Dental equipment and supplies.
- Pharmacy equipment and supplies.
- Physical Therapy / Occupational Therapy equipment and supplies.
- Veterinary equipment and supplies.
- Items of particular need: incubator, centrifuge, autoclave, lab glassware, IV pump, feeding pump, vital signs monitor-digital, ophthalmoscope, otoscope, TENS, doppler, ECG system, IV hood, etc.
- All of the above in working order.
- Items will be evaluated before being accepted.
- Fairfax County Public Schools is unable to and will not accept pharmaceuticals.
Fairfax County Public Schools accepts donations of new and used musical instruments. They must be in working condition.
Pianos must be inspected by a school system certified piano tuner before acceptance. FCPS will arrange the piano inspection with the donor. If accepted, FCPS will be responsible for moving.
Fairfax County Public Schools accepts donations of new and used photography equipment for classroom use. Photography equipment must be in working condition.
Fairfax County Public Schools accepts gently used and dry cleaned formal dresses and accessories, and provides them for free to students through an annual Prom Dress Shop at Fair Oaks Mall, Classroom on the Mall. Donations of tuxedos are not accepted.
- PLEASE NOTE: Formal wear must be dropped off in the Main Office of Centreville High School, weekdays, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Centreville High School is located at 6001 Union Mill Road, Clifton, VA 20124.
Fairfax County Public Schools accepts donations of NEW backpacks and NEW school supplies commonly used in schools. Please visit Collect for Kids for more information on items needed. Collect for Kids is a county-wide coordinated effort related to school supplies and backpacks.
Monetary donations for the school supplies and backpacks can be made at the Collect for Kids donation page.
Gently used binders are accepted based on current need or available storage space.
Fairfax County Public Schools accepts donated working science equipment and supplies provided they meet acceptable specifications, regardless of whether they are donated centrally or to a particular school facility. The equipment and supplies are valuable for teaching purposes to supplement our standard curriculum.
- Scientific instruments in working order (microscopes, telescopes, oscilloscopes, etc.)
- Demonstration equipment (physics, optics, robotics, magnets, etc.)
- Laboratory equipment and containers, glass or plastic (beakers, test tubes, flasks, etc.)
- Chemicals (currently approved for classroom use)
- Clean aquarium/terrarium equipment
- Live specimens (healthy animals that meet county and state regulations)
Fairfax County Public Schools accepts donated sports and fitness equipment provided they meet acceptable specifications. Sports and fitness equipment must be in good condition and meet FCPS safety and instructional requirements.
We cannot repair broken equipment or accept anything requiring us to purchase parts.
Sports and fitness equipment can be very heavy and FCPS may not be able to pick up and deliver some items.
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) accepts donated computing devices provided that they meet an acceptable specification regardless of whether donated centrally or to a particular school facility and are in working order.
Per Notice 5961 under the School Board Policies, Notices, and Regulations for the current technology standards:
REQUIRED SPECIFICATIONS FOR DONATING COMPUTING DEVICES
These standards establish the minimum acceptable specifications for donated computing devices:
- Manufacture date must be no more than two (2) years prior to the date of the donation.
- FCPS only accepts Windows and iOS-based computing devices.
- The following products are acceptable: Windows based laptop and desktop computers capable of running Windows 10 and Wi-Fi only iPad models with the lightning connector. FCPS does not accept the donation of iPads that require 3G or 4G mobile network access.
- For Windows devices, FCPS requires the transfer of the Windows operating system license.
- FCPS does not accept Apple laptops, desktops, or servers.
Please note: If an item is not acceptable for FCPS use it is recommended to contact the VA STAR program, as they accept a larger variety of items. VA STAR is a program independent of FCPS.
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) accepts donations of all types of vehicles, no matter condition. A vehicle donated to FCPS is put to great use.
Donated vehicles go to one of the school division’s 13 auto tech classrooms where students learn repairs, reconditioning, recycling, and – if deemed repairable – some are fixed and sold with the proceeds going back to the automotive program.
Here’s some basic information:
- The FCPS Donations Portal is your starting line.
- Donation drop-offs are taken Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. when school is in session.
- During the summer it is appointment only.
- Drop offs are not permitted unless pre-approved by the teacher.
- Exceptions may be requested by contacting the vehicle donations coordinator at 703-714-5526.
- The condition of the vehicle does not matter. We take any make, model or condition.
- Original title (proof of ownership) and keys must be provided.
- For vehicles that do not run, FCPS will discuss options with the donor.
- Towing service is not provided.
- Since donations are made to an educational facility, it may be possible to get the maximum tax benefit.
- Donating vehicles involves a unique set of forms. By using the FCPS Donations Portal, we can easily support donors in that regard.
Donors have frequent questions on how items are accepted and received into the school system. Answers to many of the common questions asked are listed below.
The school system prefers that donors use the donations portal web site as it helps FCPS manage the donation offer. The site provides the donor with information about who to contact with questions, helps FCPS guide and track donations, and generates the appropriate thank you letter for the donor’s tax deduction. The site is extremely easy to use, and should take only five minutes to complete. For those without computer access, please call 571-423-1206 and an FCPS staff member will assist in the completion of the online form.
I donated something to my child’s schools but didn’t know that there was a donations web site or a specific process to follow. What do I do now?
Complete the online Donate to FCPS form and, where applicable, make note that the donated item has been received. Once the school system receives confirmation that the donation was received, FCPS will make sure you receive a thank you letter for tax deduction purposes.
Yes. Donations to governmental entities are tax deductible. Please refer to IRS Publication 1771 for any questions.
Yes and no - as it depends on the donation. After completion of the online form, the donation will be reviewed and approved before a pickup determination can be made. The review process will take into consideration the type and size of the donation, the security requirements of a pickup, and the transportation costs to pick up a donation before deciding if a pickup is feasible. Donors may be asked to deliver the item(s) they want to donate.
No, FCPS does not have the capability to tow a vehicle. Donors are asked to NOT tow or drop off any vehicle without prior approval from an FCPS staff member.
Fairfax County Public Schools never assigns a value to a donation, and the IRS does not require the school system to do so. If you have questions, FCPS recommends that donors review IRS Publication 1771.
While Fairfax County Public Schools appreciates all offers of donations, some items are simply not useful to the school system because they may have little or no educational value or be too costly to fix or bring up to current standards.
Once a donation offer is submitted via the Donate to FCPS website, and the donation is received by FCPS, the donor will be sent a letter via email.