Background Checks for Volunteers and Mentors
Student safety is of utmost importance.
Fairfax County Public Schools is fortunate to have individuals who contribute time and energy to students as volunteers and mentors. The school system requires volunteers and mentors who meet with students on a frequent and regular basis to have a background check because student safety is of utmost importance.
Our background checks and fingerprinting program is free to volunteers, and we have a mobile fingerprinting team who will travel to your organization if there are five or more people prepared to go through the process at one time.
Volunteering in FCPS
- Complete the Volunteer Application Form (HR-3) and submit it to the school where you would like to volunteer.
- Go to the FCPS Gatehouse Administration Center I at 8115 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church, VA 22042 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. with the following:
- Complete the Fingerprint Form (HR-8). The form must be completed and signed by the principal or designee from the desired school at the time you submit the HR-3. (The form will be emailed to an employment specialist at Gatehouse who will keep it on file until the applicant’s arrival.)
- Photo ID
- Adequate time to complete several additional forms and get fingerprinted*
- If there is an issue with the volunteer’s fingerprints, the internal investigator, in coordination with the Office of Employment Services, will notify the school and the individual to determine a disposition regarding the applicant’s status.
- The paper file will be kept by the principal; HR keeps all information pertaining to fingerprinting and the background check.
*The cost of the background check will be paid for by the Department of Human Resources.
Volunteer Application Form (HR-3)
Volunteer Application Form
Request to Fingerprint Form (HR-8)
Request to fingerprint form
Mobile Fingerprinting Service:
Human Resources - Client Services will provide this service for your company or agency with at least five or more volunteers. Follow these guidelines prior to this service.
- Coordinate with the appropriate office or school for a possible volunteer or partnership opportunity.
- E-mail Mario Martinez-Diaz at MEMartinezDi@fcps.edu to schedule a date and location. This service is offered Monday - Friday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. depending on availability.
- Must complete all forms above prior to the mobile unit coming to your location.
- Photo ID.