Title I Parent Advisory Committee (2018-19)
Citizen Advisory Committee 2018-19
School Board Liaison
Karen Keys-Gamarra, Member-at-Large
Kathleen Walts, Executive Director, Office of Professional Learning and Family Engagement
The Elementary and Secondary Education act (ESEA) requires that a school district consult with teachers and parents as the district designs and implements its Compensatory Education Title I program.
2018-19 Committee Recommendation
This year’s recommendations represent a compilation of common themes that emerged over the course of the TPAC sessions. Each addresses a persistent need observed at the Title I schools and confirmed through our conversations with FCPS staff and centralized resources. The recommendations are focused on goals that will promote children’s educational attainment.
- Recommendation 1: Increase leadership through continued professional development for parent liaisons, validating them as the key interface between parents and the school community. This will further enable them to better assist families in Title I schools.
- Recommendation 2: Encourage principals and/or vice principals to attend at least one TPAC meeting each year and to incorporate the TPAC role into their interactions with staff and parents. This will encourage TPAC participation, strengthen the relationship with school administration, and bring more value to the parents in the school community.
- Recommendation 3: Develop a “Grant-writing Guide”, including a compilation of potential grant sources, to increase capacity for PTAs to apply for and receive funding to enhance the programming at their respective schools.
- Recommendation 4: Continue to expand the availability of FCPS resources and programs available at all Title I schools. Many resources are available at the parent resource center, but may not be accessible to working parents or those without transportation.
- Recommendation 5: TPAC recommends the following charge for the 2018-2019 school year, “To increase the engagement of parents with their school communities, explore ways to maximize the impact of school-based family engagement teams through identification and propagation of best boundaries/programs, such as through culturally-relevant community resources.”
The role of committee members includes providing feedback, posing questions, and expressing ideas to advance partnerships and strengthen services within FCPS Title I school communities. Members collaborate to develop recommendations, which are incorporated into an annual committee report to the School Board. View committee members.
2018-2019 General Meetings
General meetings are held 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Gatehouse Administrative Center, 8115 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church, VA 22042. Meetings take place in Room 2050/2051. When members are unable to attend in person, they are encouraged to access meeting content online. Recordings of the online sessions are available upon request. All meetings are open to the public.
|Tuesday, October 23, 2018||October|
|Tuesday, December 4, 2018||December|
|Tuesday, January 22, 2019||January|
|Tuesday, March 5, 2019||March|
|Tuesday, April 9, 2019||April|
|Tuesday, May 14, 2019|
2018-2019 Executive Board Meetings
Executive Board meetings are held 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Gatehouse Administrative Center, 8115 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church, VA 22042. Meetings take place in Room 2050/2051. All meetings are open to the public.
|Date and Times||Minutes|
|Tuesday, August 21, 2018||August|
|Tuesday, September 18, 2018||September|
|Wednesday, November 13, 2018|
|Tuesday, February 19, 2019||February|
|Wednesday, March 26, 2019|
|Tuesday, April 30, 2019||April|
August 2018 Executive Board Minutes
Executive Board Minutes from the August 2018 Meeting
September 2018 Executive Board Minutes
Executive Board Minutes from the September 2018 Meeting
October 2018 General Meeting Minutes
General Meeting Minutes from the October 2018 Meeting
December 2018 General Meeting Minutes
General Meeting Minutes from the December 2018 Meeting
January 2019 General Meeting Minutes
General Meeting Minutes from the January 2019 Meeting
February 2019 Executive Board Minutes
Executive Board Minutes from the February 2019 Meeting
March 2019 General Meeting Minutes
General Meeting Minutes from the March 2019 Meeting
April 2019 General Meeting Minutes
General Meeting Minutes from the April 2019 Meeting
April 2019 Executive Board Minutes
Executive Board Minutes from the April 2019 Meeting