Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
EPSL and E-FMLE: Additional Leave Options to Assist Employees during COVID-19.
FFCRA Legislation Extended to March 31, 2021-FCPS has elected to extend the EPSL and E-FMLE provisions of the FFCRA as recently permitted by Congress. The legislation extends these leave types to March 31, 2021, for employees who have not used their full entitlement. See below for more information on these programs.
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) is one of several federal laws that focuses on our needs in coping with developing realities surrounding health and employment. The FFCRA introduces two new pay/leave benefits for employees with paid sick leave or expanded family medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. This is a very quick-moving environment, and we are still receiving compliance advice from the Department of Labor to help our best efforts in ensuring we are able to assist employees during this unprecedented time. We will provide updates as they become available.
There are two main components of the Act: Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) and Emergency Family Medical Leave Expansion (E-FMLE). These programs will add to other employee leave benefits (like FCPS sick accruals or the classic Family Medical Leave Act.
- EPSL provides employees additional two (2) weeks of paid sick leave for COVID-19 related reasons.
- 100% of daily rate of pay, up to cap ($511 daily/$5,110 over the two week period) for employees who are under government required quarantine; employees who are self-quarantine directed by healthcare provider or are experiencing COVID symptoms and seeking medical care.
- 2/3 of daily rate of pay, up to cap ($200 daily/$2,000 over the two week period) for those employees who cannot work due to care requirements for individuals effected by COVID-19 as above OR who cannot work because of son/daughter’s childcare requirements as a result of COVID-19 school or childcare provider closures.
- The EPSL can coordinate with the E-FMLE benefit.
To apply, you must complete the Request for EPSL form. Please submit your request to the Office of Benefit Services using instructions on the reverse side of this form.
- E-FMLE is a temporary expansion of FML ‘classic’ for employees with at least 30 days of service.
- Provides for 12 weeks of leave (beyond the EPSL benefit) for those employees who cannot work due to childcare requirements as a result of COVID-19 school or childcare provider closures
- First two weeks (2) are unpaid (but employee can take EPSL or other paid leave during first two weeks), then 2/3 of daily rate of pay, up to cap ($200 daily/$10,000 over 10 weeks; or 12,000 total over the 12 week leave period including the EPSL benefits)
To apply, you must complete the Request for E-FMLE form. Please submit your request to the Office of Benefit Services using instructions on the reverse side of this form.
- Employees requesting leave under FFCRA may elect to use leave balances to supplement the leave as outlined above when the leave is requested for cases of personal illness or to care for an ill family member, as noted in FCPS Regulation 4819.
If your need for extended leave is not COVID-19 related, you may want to explore other leave options. If related to your health, but is not related to COVID-19, then please view the FCPS Time Away from Work website for more information about our disability and leave programming. If your need for extended leave is relating to care for an ill family member that is unrelated to COVID-19, FMLA classic or a leave of absence (LOA) may work for you.