Field Experiences for Teachers in Training
Nurturing your professional development
Student teaching, internships and observation hours are considered to be the single most important experience in a teacher preparation program. That's why each year, Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) offers quality teaching experiences to more than 500 teachers in training. We are strengthening our partnerships with colleges and universities to nurture the professional growth of the next generation of teachers and to provide for quality learning experiences for the children in our schools.
Student Teaching and Internship Application Process:
- A referral from the student’s college or university via Attachment A.
- A completed online application to include an uploaded resume. The application link will be provided by the university contact.
- A criminal background check administered at the FCPS Welcome Center.
- The Department of Human Resources will provide specific details of acceptance to the college
Criminal Background Check Process for Student Teachers:
In order to complete the placement process, the student will need to be fingerprinted for a criminal background check three weeks prior to their first day at the assigned placement. FCPS will pay the fee for this requirement. The student will be provided with an FCPS photo identification badge which must be worn at all times when in an FCPS school. Upon completion of the student’s final student teaching or internship placement(s), their badge must be returned to the principal of that school.
Students should report to the FCPS Welcome Center on the first floor of the Gatehouse Administration Center, 8115 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church, VA 22042. Hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. No appointment is necessary.
Documents needed to process the criminal background check:
- Negative TB test result
- Government-issued photo ID
Universities seeking a student teacher placement for the first time:
FCPS requires a signed memorandum of understanding (MOU) to accept placement requests from colleges and universities. An approved MOU can take up to six months to be processed. Please contact Lena Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org for new requests.
Students seeking a student teacher placement at FCPS should reach out to their university placement coordinator to make this request.
FCPS Cooperating Teachers:
Student teachers will be assigned to a cooperating teacher’s classroom. All cooperating teachers must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Three years of teaching experience.
- One year of experience in Fairfax County Public Schools.
- One year of experience in the current assignment.
- Qualities and traits necessary to provide practicum students, student teachers, and interns with experiences that will foster professional growth.
- Performance evaluation with a recommendation of “reappointment.”
Field Experience Practicum Observations
Field experience observations are for teachers in training who are seeking typically 10 to 40 hours of observation time in an FCPS classroom. Requests for observation hours are the responsibility of the university and student seeking placement. It is the discretion of each FCPS school administrator to determine if they can accommodate the specific request.
Field Experience Practicum Observation Process
- The university contact will fill out and submit a Request to Hire form (HR8) to email@example.com. Upload this form as an attachment.
- The university contact will direct students to the FCPS Welcome Center to complete their background check/ fingerprinting.
- Government-issued photo ID is required.
- The student will return to the FCPS Welcome Center to pick up his/ her photo identification badge.
FCPS Welcome Center
8115 Gatehouse Road
Falls Church, VA. 22042
Hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
No appointment is necessary