Special Education Conference 2019 - Self-Determined Student Strand
This year's Special Education Conference has a Self-Determined Student Strand. It is a four hour conference led by “I’m Determined” youth leaders for FCPS students, ages 14-22.
Date: Saturday, April 6, 2019
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Location: Lake Braddock Secondary School, 9200 Burke Lake Rd, Burke, VA 22015
Description: This four hour conference will be led by “I’m Determined” youth leaders. It is for FCPS students, ages 14-22, with disabilities and will emphasize learning and understanding of what self-determination is and why it is important to possess and implement these skills on a daily basis.
Sessions & Activities
During this program, students will
- Participate in two interactive sessions:
- Session 1 focuses on goal setting and learning how to develop a plan to reach a desired goal.
- Session 2 involves self-reflection and identification of strengths and interests as well as areas where the student may require support.
- Learn the benefits of the One Pager and will start to complete their own document, which can be shared with their teachers and school staff members at their schools. Once students have gained an understanding of the concepts, they will learn how this knowledge can be used during their IEP development.
- Have an opportunity to network and share issues of importance to youth and young adults with disabilities.
- Participate in a facilitated resource walk where they will view and discuss exciting inclusive practices taking place in FCPS.
There will be optional recreation activities for students offered at the end of the student conference until the end of the larger Special Education Conference from 12:30-1:30. More details will be provided soon about these optional recreational activities for students!
A pizza lunch will be provided to participants. Students are encouraged to bring their own lunch if they have allergies or dietary restrictions.
If your FCPS student is interested in participating, register here. A Career and Transition staff member will call you to gather more in-depth information about your student’s particular needs and will provide you with detailed information about this event. This phone conversation must take place in order for the student to be officially enrolled in this event.
Self-Determined Student Strand Schedule
|8:30-9:30 a.m.||Student Strand - Session 1|
|9:30-9:45 a.m.||Student Strand - Networking|
|9:45-10:45 a.m.||Student Strand - Session 2|
|10:45 - 11 a.m.||Student Strand - Networking|
|11-11:30 a.m.||Student Strand - Facilitated Resource Walk & Inclusive Practices Showcase
A facilitator will guide students as they talk to specific exhibitors and attend an inclusive practices showcase provided by individual schools.
|11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.||Student Strand - Lunch and Concluding Activities|
- Participants will learn how self-determination can be applied to their daily lives, thus giving them much needed control and ownership over their lives.
- Participants will learn cooperation and collaboration by working within a team of peers.
- Participants will learn problem solving strategies and will communicate their ideas to attain a collective goal.
- Participants will gain an understanding of themselves by identifying their strengths and interests as well as acknowledging areas in which they need support.
- Participants will understand how self-knowledge is crucial to the development of the IEP.
Participants are expected to return to their schools and communities and share the I'm Determined message.