Assistive Technology Services (ATS)
Assistive Technology Services (ATS) uses computers, augmentative communication devices, and adaptive technology peripherals to maximize the potential of FCPS students with disabilities.
ATS staff members work in collaboration with school teams to ensure that all students with disabilities who require assistive technology have the technology tools and training necessary in order to access the curriculum, narrow the achievement gap, gain essential life skills, and reach their full potential.
Assistive Technology Services:
- Provides assistive technology (AT) support to FCPS students with disabilities.
- Builds capacity of school teams to incorporate assistive technology options for all students with disabilities.
- Assigns an AT resource teacher to provide AT training and support to every FCPS school and center (AT resource teachers support an average of eight to ten sites each).
- Provides augmentative and alternative communication (AAC), adaptive access, support for the visually impaired, support for the deaf and hard of hearing, and instructional software training and support to FCPS students with disabilities.
- Offers individual AT consultations for students with disabilities through a comprehensive assistive technology referral process.
- Provides direct, ongoing school-based assistive technology support to students with disabilities who have been previously referred to ATS.
- Provides topic specific assistive technology training.
- Sponsors staff development projects like the Technology Outreach and Program Support (TOPS) teacher program.