The Americans with Disabilities Act and Reasonable Accommodations
Contact us if you have questions or concerns at EERADA@fcps.edu.
For information on the ADA process for employee ADA accommodation requests to telework, due to COVID-19, please view the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Interactive Process in Response to COVID-19.
ADA Accommodation Request FormFor assistance with obtaining accommodation in the workplace under the ADA, please complete the ADA Accommodation Request form. There are two parts to the form: Part I is completed by the employee (or applicant) and Part II is completed by your treating physician. Please note, EER generally cannot process your ADA request without receiving a completed Part II from your treating physician
Department of Human Resources, Office of Equity and Employee Relations
Employees and Applicants for Employment
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires an employer to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment unless to do so would cause undue hardship.
A qualified individual is an employee with a disability who meets the legitimate skills, experience, education, or other requirements of a job and who can perform the essential job functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
In general, an accommodation is any change in the work environment or in the way things are customarily done that enables an individual with a disability to enjoy equal employment opportunities.
There are three categories of "reasonable accommodations":
- Modifications or adjustments to the work environment, or to the manner or circumstances under which the position held or desired is customarily performed, that enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions of that position; or
- Modifications or adjustments that enable a covered entity's employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment as are enjoyed by its other similarly situated employees without disabilities; or
- Modifications or adjustments to a job application process that enable a qualified applicant with a disability to be considered for the position such qualified applicant desires.
Contact Information: Equity and Employee Relations (EER)
Students and Parents
For assistance regarding programs and activities for students with disabilities, please contact Due Process and Eligibility
- 8270 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive, Second Floor, Fairfax, VA 22031
- 711 for access to Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS)
For assistance with access to school facilities, please contact Design and Construction Services
The Office of Equity & Employee Relations (EER) is responsible for responding to complaints of discrimination based on disability.
The United States Department of Justice (DOJ) is the Federal Agency charged with enforcing the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EOC) Coronavirus Resources
- PEEOC Pandemic Preparedness in the Workplace and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN) Accommodation and Compliance: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Fairfax County Department of Health
- Guidance Resources - new users need to register with Web ID: “FCPS”
- Virginia Department of Education COVID-19 Information