Meet Dr. Scott Brabrand, FCPS Superintendent
Dr. Brabrand started his term on July 10, 2017
Messages from Superintendent
The Fairfax County School Board has selected Dr. Scott Brabrand as the next superintendent of Fairfax County Public Schools for the period July 10, 2017, to June 30, 2021.
Brabrand returns to FCPS after spending five years as Superintendent of Lynchburg City Schools, where he oversaw increases in the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) pass rates in math and reading and in the graduation rate, particularly for economically disadvantaged students and for Black students. During his tenure, Lynchburg City Schools saw its funding transfer increase for five consecutive years after five previous years of flat or declining transfers. This year, he was named Region V Superintendent of the Year by the Virginia Association of School Superintendents.
Follow Dr. Scott Brabrand on Twitter @fcpssupt
Entry Plan for Superintendent Scott Brabrand
Excellence - Equity - Effectiveness - Expectations
The purpose of this entry plan is to create an intentional process that will support me as Superintendent in making Fairfax County Public Schools the premier school system in this country. Understanding what the school system is doing well and exploring what can be improved will lead to opportunities for learning and reflection. This entry plan represents my first step in developing mutual trust and respect with internal and external stakeholders through open and honest communications and positive relationships.
The expected outcomes from this entry plan include:
- A comprehensive summary of the findings and observations collected from the outreach activities to be presented to the School Board and the public.
- An executive summary to help me accelerate the implementation of Ignite, the FCPS Strategic Plan—which identifies what goals are important to us as a division—and solidify community understanding and support for the FCPS Portrait of a Graduate, which encompasses all we want our students to be and is the center of our Strategic Plan.
School Board Relations
Objective: To develop a strong, collaborative relationship with the School Board in order to support the goal of making FCPS the premier school system in the country.
- Share entry plan for feedback and guidance before implementation.
- Establish one-on-one meetings with School Board members to develop relationships and learn more about their goals, perspectives, and aspirations for the school system.
- Develop a strategic plan for the School Board to be a national role model for effective leadership and governance.
- Establish protocols and working agreements around regular communication with School Board.
- Provide School Board members with a retreat to review their assessment of the district’s current vision, mission, beliefs, and priorities and the alignment of these elements with the system’s strategies and resources.
- Schedule listening tours in conjunction with School Board members throughout FCPS.
Objective: To reconnect with internal and external stakeholders to ensure a clear understanding of the division’s current opportunities and challenges.
- Meet with students, teachers, principals, and educator professional organizations throughout the school system.
- Hold listening sessions with the business community.
- Schedule a meet and greet with the Fairfax County Council of PTAs.
- Within my first two years, schedule a visit to every school and begin building relationships with principals, teachers, and students through visible engagement.
Critical Issue Analysis
Objective: To identify critical issues in FCPS that represent both barriers and opportunities for accelerating the performance of all students.
- Work with the FCPS Leadership Team to identify their current areas of responsibility, any areas of concern, and major decisions needed within the next three to six months.
- Review all division planning documents and essential reports and audits by outside agencies.
- Review all essential documents related to school system achievement, finance, budget, and legal issues as well as accountability, safety, and project management protocols.
- Evaluate performance of schools and school system efforts to support increased student achievement.
- Review plans for division professional development.
Effective Communication and Community Engagement
Objective: To ensure effective communication and authentic community engagement by building relationships with key stakeholders and ensuring the timely delivery of accurate information.
- Review division’s safety and security plans, monitoring, and training.
- Assess division communication plan, internal and external, and in all forms to include communication with and between School Board, administration, principals, teachers, and support staff.
- Schedule introductory meetings with members of the local media and establish protocols for communication with these outlets. Offer to meet with the editorial boards of local media. Work to establish a framework for collaboration that is open, honest, transparent, and accurate.
- Establish positive, professional, and collaborative relationships with Fairfax County’s key leaders of business, non-profit, and philanthropic and political organizations to ensure understanding, communication about, and support for the teaching and learning experience.
- Establish positive, professional, and collaborative relationships with the various associations (teachers, staff, principals, and students) and their leadership to ensure decisions are made in the best interest of students.
- Meet with local community leaders from service and faith-based organizations.
- Develop an avenue for outreach to minority communities.
- Prepare an annual “State of the Schools” presentation that offers a snapshot of school system performance and achievement and invites public comment and input.
Set up listening and learning sessions with staff and community members.
Identify and meet with parents who are not members of traditional school organizations to listen and learn and to discuss critical issues facing the division and to explore ways to foster richer engagement with these parents.
Meet with Fairfax County's elected officials to listen and learn about areas of concern as well as opportunities for growth and solutions to challenges facing the division. Work within current protocols to routinely communicate with this group and advocate for FCPS.
This entry plan is my first step in developing mutual trust and respect with all stakeholders in Fairfax County Public Schools and in the community. By listening broadly and learning deeply, I can gain an effective understanding of Fairfax's goals and aspirations.
Entry Plan for Superintendent Scott Brabrand
Printer-friendly version of the entry plan for Superintendent Scott Brabrand.
Dr. Brabrand Leadership Conference Speech
Superintendent Brabrand outlined his vision for FCPS during his address to the FCPS Leadership Conference in August 2017.