Volunteering in FCPS (Individuals)
The process for individuals to volunteer
The free volunteer and background check process for individuals is initiate by the volunteer and the school or office hosting the volunteer. Follow these guidelines to become an FCPS “badged” volunteer.
- Complete the Volunteer Application Form (HR-3) and submit it to the school where you would like to volunteer.
- If you are volunteering as a group, your group lead is likely collecting all your group’s HR-3’s and may be coordinating with the FCPS Mobile Fingerprinting Service. If so, submit your HR-3 to your group lead.
- Confirm with your school contact that the school has been submitted and that the FCPS Human Resources team has received a completed Request to Fingerprint Form HR-8 (This document must be initiated by an FCPS hiring supervisor) form. Only an FCPS employee can submit an HR-8 form. Your school contact will know who to send the form to.
- If the FCPS Human Resources team at Gatehouse does not have an HR-8, you will be turned away.
- Go to the FCPS Gatehouse Administration Center at 8115 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church, VA 22042 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. with the following:
- Government-issued Photo ID
- Adequate time to complete several additional forms and to get fingerprinted.
- If there is an issue with the volunteer’s fingerprints, the FCPS Internal Investigator, in coordination with the Talent Acquisition and Management Office, will notify the school and the individual to determine a disposition regarding the applicant’s status.
- The paper file will be kept by the principal; HR keeps all information pertaining to fingerprinting and the background check.
- Learn about the different processes for Groups and annual Renewals.