Department of Facilities and Transportation Services
FCPS Earns 2018 Energy Star® Partner of the Year AwardFor the second consecutive year, Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) has been named a 2018 Energy Star® Partner of the Year-Energy Management award winner for its efforts to improve the energy efficiency of its buildings and facilities.
The mission of the Department of Facilities and Transportation Services (FTS) is to provide facilities that are clean, safe, energy efficient, sustainable, comfortable, and conducive to efficient and effective educational and support activities; to provide safe and efficient student transportation; and to protect students, employees, grounds, and property.
We are committed to being responsive, flexible, innovative, and efficient. We work hard to provide up-to-date, relevant, and accurate information.
Areas of Responsibility
The office of the assistant superintendent supports and advises the Superintendent on matters relating to facilities, safety, security, and transportation, and provides leadership and direction to the Department of Facilities and Transportation Services. The assistant superintendent serves as a liaison to the School Board and represents the school division on departmental issues at the local, state, regional, and national levels.
The department is organized into six offices of responsibility to provide effective and efficient services to FCPS employees, parents, and the community, including:
The Office of Administrative Services is responsible for providing administrative and logistical support to the department and the assistant superintendent by overseeing the community use of FCPS facilities, supporting departmental technology requirements, and providing departmental financial, budgeting, and contract management coordination.
- Use School Facilities for Community Use
- Access Community Use Forms
- Get Details on Current Solicitations to Bid for Facilities Management
Design and Construction Services
The Office of Design and Construction Services provides the necessary liaison between FCPS and Fairfax County and is responsible for design and construction services for new school facilities; additions to existing schools; renewals (renovations) of existing school facilities; completion of capital improvement work orders in the most cost-efficient manner; minor facility improvements; and the purchase, installation, and relocation of temporary classroom facilities. This office evaluates the capacity and effective utilization of each school on a yearly basis. Design and Construction manages facility accommodation for the disabled through the Americans with Disabilities Act Transition Plan.
- Access Design & Construction Current Solicitations to Bid
- View the 2017 FCPS Master Specifications
- Access our Facility and Enrollment Dashboard
- Monopoles and Fairfax County Public Schools
- Bond Money at Work - Take a look at the photo gallery of past and present Capital Bond Improvement projects under construction
The Office of Facilities Management is responsible for routine preventive and corrective building and grounds maintenance services, facilities infrastructure repair and replacement, and energy conservation in the design and operation of FCPS facilities. Maintenance and repair of all mechanical, electrical, and structural equipment and systems is provided by technicians located in four decentralized satellite maintenance facilities. A fifth centralized facility is responsible for grounds maintenance and centralized trades functions.
- Access Facilities Management Current Solicitations to Bid
- Check out the FCPS Recycling Program
- Learn more About the Energy Management Program
- View the Greenhouse Gas Inventory
- Learn more about the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Program
Facilities Planning Services
The Office of Facilities Planning Services manages the multiple processes and information necessary to ensure the efficient and effective accommodation of all students and educational programs. This office produces a five-year Capital Improvement Program (CIP), student accommodation review, school enrollment projections by grade level, attendance area adjustment recommendations, and proposes, in conjunction with other offices in the department, bond referenda to fund required capital improvements.
- Learn more about Facilities Planning for the Future
- Get facts about the Capital Improvement Program (CIP)
- View Boundary, Academic, Split Feeder and Magisterial Maps
- Know which FCPS school to attend with the Boundary Locator System
- Get School Boundary Adjustment Information
- View Student Enrollment and Projections
- Get facts about Development Review and Proffer Processes
- Get details regarding the Facilities Planning Advisory Council (FPAC)
Safety and Security
The Office of Safety and Security provides overall guidance, direction, and support to the Safety, Health, and Security programs, to include federal or Commonwealth of Virginia equivalent Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) programs; develops, implements, and monitors student and employee health and safety programs; monitors and standardizes chemical purchases; and implements necessary hazardous waste disposals.
- Learn more about Safety and Security
- Get details on Safe Routes to School
- Use the Confidential and Anonymous FCPS TipLine - 571-423-2020
The Office of Transportation Services provides basic day-to-day transportation from neighborhood bus stops for both division and contract schools; provides shuttle runs for mid-day transportation; provides late bus runs after normal school closing; provides transportation for schools' educational and athletic field trips; operates a transportation training center to provide well-trained drivers and attendants; supervises the purchase and maintenance of all school-owned vehicles; and ensures that each school bus driver has met all local, state, and federal requirements.