School Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) (2019-20)
Citizen Advisory Committee
School Board Liaison
Sandy Evans, Mason District Representative
Lea M. Skurpski, Director, Office of Operations and Strategic Planning, Department of Special Services
Va. Code §22.1-275.1—Each school board may establish a school health advisory board of no more than twenty members which shall consist of broad-based community representation including, but not limited to, parents, students, health professionals, educators, and others. The advisory board shall assist with the development of health policy in the school division and the evaluation of the status of school health, health education, the school environment, and health services.
2019-20 Committee Charge
The FCPS School Board hereby charges the School Health Advisory Committee with reviewing factors impacting overall student health and social-emotional wellness, inclding student safety/school climate, nutrition, physical activity, sleep, school-day screen-time, and middle school start times.
Participation, Implementation, and Support of the FCPS Wellness Policy
The Fairfax County School Board will engage members of the school community and the general public to develop, assess, review and/or revise the FCPS Wellness Policy and Regulations. The School Health Advisory Committee will assess and review the Wellness Policy and Regulations to make recommendations to the School Board and serve as a vehicle for engaging the public.
- View additional information on FCPS Wellness Leadership
- View the latest edition of the FCPS Wellness Newsletter | Subscribe
- FCPS Wins Award for Wellness Program from VSBA
Reports, Policies, and Regulations
- 2018-2019 School Wellness Survey Responses and Summary Report
- Staff Response to Recommendations 2017-2018
- 2017-2018 Annual Report
- 2017-2018 Attendance Report
- Student and Staff Health and Wellness Policy 2100
- Student and Staff Health and Wellness Regulation 2100
2019-20 Meeting Schedule
The SHAC meets every third Wednesday of the month. All meetings are held at the Gatehouse Administration Center (GAC) located at 8115 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church, VA 22042 at 7:00 p.m.
Please note that when schools are closed due to snow or inclement weather, SHAC meetings will be cancelled. FCPS provides information about closings and delays on www.fcps.edu.
- September 18, 2019 in room 5055 - View Agenda
- October 16, 2019 in room 5055
- November 20, 2019 in room 1600
- December 18, 2019 in room 1600
- January 15, 2020 in room 5055
- February 19, 2020 in room 1600
- March 18, 2020 in room 1600
- April 15, 2020 in room 5055
- May 20, 2020 in room 1600
Making Public Comment at Meetings of the School Health Advisory Committee
Time is set aside at each meeting for public comment and the committee looks forward to hearing from parents, educators, students, and the greater Fairfax County community.
Seung Je Yo, At Large-Moon
Stella Pekarsky, At Large-Keys-Garmarra
Theresa Sheipe, Braddock
Lori Jacobs, Dranesville
Amber Chamberlain, Lee
Holly Spanier, Mason
Adriana van Breda, Mt. Vernon
Phyllis Payne, Providence
Teresa Presson, Fairfax City School Board
September 18, 2019
Meeting agenda for 9/18/19 meeting
Meeting minutes will be posted here when they become available.