Leaving Employment with FCPS

How Your Benefit Programs will be Impacted When You Resign from FCPS

When You Leave Employment with FCPS

This document provides an overview of the impact on your FCPS benefit programs upon termination of employment. It is not a comprehensive reference and should be reviewed in conjunction with your FCPS benefit materials and the plan documents of your respective retirement system(s). In the event of any conflict between official benefit plan documents, benefit contracts, retirement plans, and this document, official information will govern. Benefit terms and conditions are subject to change.


Address Changes

To make sure you receive all communications related to your termination of employment, such as your final pay advice and W-2 Wage and Tax statement, you must report any address changes to the FCPS Office of Payroll Management prior to your last day of work (if possible). While employed, address changes may be made online in UConnect (www.fcps.edu, search “UConnect”). To access UConnect, you must be connected to the FCPS network or through VPN. For post-employment address changes, you may contact the Office of Payroll Management at [email protected].   
Please note: After you leave employment, you should report address changes to the Payroll Office until you receive your W-2 Wage and Tax statement. You should also notify the retirement system(s), which hold the contributions accumulated during your FCPS employment. If you do not know your retirement plan, contact HR Client Services by emailing [email protected] or by calling 571-423-3000.


When Health Benefits End

If you paid all required premiums for your medical and dental coverage, your plan enrollment will continue according to the following schedule:

  • If you terminate employment in June, July, or August, your coverage will end on August 31.
  • If you terminate employment in any month other than June, July, or August, your coverage will end on the last day of the month in which you leave FCPS.
  • If you are retiring on July 1, your last day in active status is June 30. Your medical and/or dental coverage will terminate as an active employee on August 31. 
  • If you were on a leave of absence and have not paid all required premiums, your coverage will end on of the last day of the month for which the full premium payment was received and applied. 
  • If you are terminating employment with FCPS but are on long-term disability, and have paid the required premiums, your coverage will end based on the schedules shown in bullets 1 and 2. You will be receiving a letter from the Disability and Leaves team regarding your employment termination and related benefits.

After your coverage terminates, you may be eligible to elect COBRA continuation coverage. Your COBRA election notice and form will be mailed separately to your home address. 


Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)

You, your eligible spouse, and/or children covered under an FCPS health and/or dental plan on the date your employment ends may be entitled to continue coverage through a provision known as COBRA. If eligible, you will receive a COBRA notice and election form via separate mailing from OptumHealth Financial Services, Inc., FCPS’ administrator for COBRA Continuation coverage. 

To continue health care coverage through COBRA, you must complete and return the election form within 60 days of your benefit termination date (or COBRA notice date - whichever is later). You must also pay the required premiums within 45 days from the date you submit your COBRA election form; coverage is not effective until the premium is paid. If you elect COBRA continuation coverage, you are responsible for the full COBRA premium (employee + employer share), plus a 2 percent administrative fee. 

In most cases, the maximum period you can continue coverage through COBRA is 18 months.

Your Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

Your FSA benefits terminate on the same schedule described above for health benefits, provided that contributions were made for the entire period. You have 90 days from the end of the calendar year to submit claims. If not claimed, any money remaining in your account(s) is forfeited and cannot be returned to you.

Claims must be incurred (i.e. services received) during your period of enrollment and prior to the termination date of the benefit. 

Please note: The $550 carryover provision for the medical spending account does not apply to retirees and employees who have terminated employment.

Annual Leave

Employees in 12-month positions will be paid for accumulated annual leave at the rate of pay in effect at the time of termination. Employees hired on or after July 1, 1998, will not be paid for any annual leave in excess of the applicable maximum. Annual leave in excess of the cap is converted to sick leave. The annual leave payout will be processed as a separate payment following the last regular 12-month payment. 
FCPS employees who transfer, with no break in service, to the Fairfax County Government (FCG), may request to have annual leave transferred in lieu of payment. The FCPS Office of Payroll Management must receive the request for transfer of accumulated annual leave in writing from the employee (or FCG agency representative) within one month of termination. The choice of payment or transfer of accumulated leave is a one-time irrevocable election. 


Unused Sick Leave

If you are fully vested for retirement, meaning you have at least five years of credited service under either FCERS or the ERFC legacy plan (members hired prior to 7/1/2001), your accumulated unused sick leave will be automatically converted into retirement service credit at the time of your FCPS employment termination unless you indicate otherwise prior to your departure. If you wish to transfer your unused sick leave in lieu of having it converted into retirement service credit, you must complete and return Request to Transfer Unused Sick Leave Form (FS 73-06) to the Office of Payroll Management no later than your effective termination date. The form can be found at: www.fcps.edu/sites/default/files/media/forms/fs7306.pdf.

Employees covered for retirement under the ERFC 2001 plan (members hired on or after 7/1/2001) - are ineligible to convert accumulated unused sick leave into retirement service credit. If accumulated unused sick leave is not transferred to another Virginia school division or to the Fairfax County Government, it will be forfeited. If you return to active FCPS employment within one year of termination, and you did not previously request a sick leave balance transfer, your prior sick leave balance will be reinstated. 


This information is not intended for employees who are retiring from FCPS. If you are retiring from FCPS, please refer to the Retiree Benefits Handbook on the Retiree Benefits Publications website for important information about continuation of benefits at the time of retirement.

Employees who are unable to work due to disability are encouraged to immediately contact the retirement office of the system in which they are participating to determine eligibility to apply for disability retirement.

VRS/ERFC Retirement Plan Members

Full-time, monthly paid educational, administrative, and operational employees are covered by the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) AND the Educational Employees’ Supplementary Retirement System of Fairfax County (ERFC).

Retirement Contributions: If you are terminating employment without retiring, ERFC will post an electronic separation letter to your ERFCDirect account with information about your retirement account options; members will receive an email notification when the letter is available. 

If you have not already done so, it is important that you register for ERFCDirect so that you can access your electronic letter when it is sent. Go to the ERFCDirect home page at www.fcps.edu/erfcdirect and click “First-Time User? Register Now” to create your account using your personal email address. If you have already established an ERFCDirect account using your FCPS email address, make sure that you log in to your account and change your ERFCDirect email to your personal email address. (Note that you cannot access ERFCDirect if you are using VPN.) More information on retirement account options is available in Chapter 8 of your applicable ERFC Member Handbook at www.fcps.edu/erfc/erfc-retirement-forms-publications-and-resources. More information on your VRS retirement account options is available in Chapter 9 of your applicable VRS Handbook for Members (Plan 1 and Plan 2) and Chapter 4 (Hybrid Plan) at www.varetire.org/publications. You can also contact VRS directly at 1-888-827-3847

Life Insurance: If you are a VRS/ERFC member not eligible for retirement, you may convert your VRS group and/or optional life insurance coverage to an individual plan. Contact the Virginia Retirement System to obtain the Conversion of Group Life Insurance Enrollment (VRS-35) form (also available at www.varetire.org/forms). You must submit this form and the first premium payment within 31 days of your employment termination date. Your form should be mailed to: Securian Financial Group, Richmond Branch Office, P.O. Box 1193, Richmond, VA 23218-1193. 

Please note: Certain terminating employees with more than 15 years of service are eligible to retain group life coverage under VRS. Contact VRS to determine your eligibility.

FCERS Retirement Plan Members

Maintenance, custodial, food services, transportation, and less-than-full-time educational, administrative, and operational employees are covered by the Fairfax County Employees’ Retirement System (FCERS). 

Retirement Contributions: If you are terminating employment without retiring, contact FCERS at 703-279-8200 to determine your options regarding your accumulated contributions. More information regarding the FCERS retirement plan can be found in your FCERS Retirement Handbook for Active Employees.

Life Insurance: If you are an FCERS member not eligible for retirement, you may convert your group and/or optional life insurance coverage to an individual plan. Upon your request, the FCPS Office of Benefit Services will provide a Conversion of Group Life Insurance Enrollment form (also available on the FCPS Benefits Forms website). Within 31 days of your termination of employment, you must complete and submit this form, along with your first premium payment to: MetLife, 200 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10166.

Request to Transfer Unused Sick Leave from FCPS form (FS 73-06)

Retirement Savings Accounts: 403(b), 457(b), and VRS Hybrid 457

Contributions to your Tax-Deferred Account-403(b) and/or Deferred Compensation-457(b) end when you leave FCPS. 

If you are a 12-month employee and receive an annual leave payout, your tax-deferred contribution(s) will continue to be deducted from that payment unless you stop your contribution(s) prior to that payout. Contact your investment provider(s) for advice.

Participants may leave funds in their 403(b) and 457(b) accounts; however, you generally have to start taking withdrawals from your retirement savings accounts when you reach age 72. Contact your investment provider to determine your IRS required minimum distribution (RMD), the minimum amount you must withdraw each year from your account upon reaching age 72. All 403(b) distribution requests can be initiated by contacting TSA Consulting Group (TSACG), FCPS’ third-party administrator responsible for approving distribution and withdrawal transactions (including cash withdrawals, rollovers, loans, and hardship withdrawals). You may request distributions by completing the necessary forms obtained from your investment provider, attaching them to a Transaction Routing Request, and submitting all completed documents to TSACG for evaluation and approval. 

Participants in the 457(b) Plan should contact Empower Retirement for distribution information at 1-877-449-FCPS (3277) or at https://fcps.empower-retirement.com.

Participants in the VRS Hybrid 457 Plan must submit the appropriate distribution form to ICMA-RC, the third-party administrator for the VRS Hybrid Defined Contribution components. The forms can be found at www.varetire.org/hybrid. A separate form is required for distributions from both the Hybrid 457 Deferred Compensation Plan and the Hybrid 401(a) Cash Match Plan. Participants who have terminated employment still must satisfy the one full calendar month break in service rule but now have the convenience of requesting a distribution through Account Access, ICMA-RC’s secure online portal. Participants can access their accounts by visiting www.varetire.org/dcp and selecting their plan to log in or create a user ID and password. Once logged in, participants can choose the applicable plan and select “Withdrawals” from the navigation bar.