Instructional Licensure: News and Updates
A resource page for news and updates related to instructional licensure
News and Updates
- New Requirements for Initial Licensure and License Renewal –
Superintendent’s Memo #173-17:
The purpose of this memorandum is to summarize legislation passed by the 2016 and 2017 Virginia General Assemblies that directly impacts individuals applying for an initial license or seeking renewal of a license. To clarify questions received from school divisions and licensees, effective July 1, 2017, please provide verification that all statutory renewal requirements, including those passed in 2016 and 2017, are completed every five years during each renewal period.
- Two New Computer Based Praxis II Middle School Tests
- Middle School: English Language Arts (5049) – Computer Based
- Middle School: English Language Arts (0049) – Pencil/Paper Based
- Middle School: Social Studies (5089) – Computer Based
- Middle School: Social Studies (0089) – Pencil/Paper Based
- Please visit http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/centers_dates to learn more about test centers, dates, and registration. Please either send required score sheets with your employee ID number to the Office of Licensure via Pony or fax to 571-423-3147. For further assistance, please contact the Office of Licensure general number information number at 571-423-3137 or contact your licensure assistant.
- New Reading Assessment
- New Praxis II Assessments for Native Speakers – French, German, and Spanish
- New Praxis II World Language assessments have been approved as an option to meet endorsement requirements for Native speakers or candidates who learned a foreign language outside of a regionally accredited college/university. Individuals seeking initial licensure with a Foreign Language preK-12 endorsement in French, German, or Spanish can pass the applicable Praxis II test to meet the endorsement area assessment requirement AND verify language proficiency. The new tests:
- Replace the previous Content Knowledge & Productive Language Skills tests (Scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the test date.)
- Are computer-delivered
- Are given by appointment through a national network of Prometric™ Testing Centers during several testing windows throughout the year: Test Centers & Dates
- Praxis II Test Title
- French: World Language | Test Code: 5174 | Passing Score: 163
- German: World Language | Test Code: 5183 | Passing Score: 163
- Spanish: World Langauge | Test Code: 5195 | Passing Score: 168
- At a minimum, all individuals seeking initial licensure must hold a U.S. or U.S.-equivalent bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university. Graduates of foreign institutions of higher learning must obtain an evaluation of degree equivalency from one of the approved VDOE evaluators.
- The full list of licensure options and requirements for a Foreign Language preK-12 endorsement can be found in the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel.
- Please send score sheets with your employee ID number to the FCPS Licensure office via Pony, or fax: 571-423-3147.
- Praxis II Test Title
HR ConnectionQuestion for Human Resources? Submit it through the HR Connection portal or call 571-423-3000 or 1-800-831-4331.
June 6 test