SBA Performance Evaluation - School Climate
Standard 2 of the school-based administrator performance evaluation program
The school-based administrator fosters the success of all students by developing, advocating, and sustaining an academically rigorous, positive, and safe school climate for all stakeholders.
Examples may include, but are not limited to the following.
The school-based administrator:
- Cultivates a positive school community; models high expectations; builds collaborative trust within the school and community; and develops effective efficacy to support and sustain a positive and safe school climate.
- Maintains a positive, inviting school environment that promotes and assists in the development of the whole student and values every student as an important member of the school community.
- Involves students, staff, parents, and the community in creating and sustaining a positive, safe and healthy learning environment that reflects state, division, and local school rules, policies, and procedures.
- Builds relationships with all stakeholder to support student success.
- Develops and/or implements best practices in schoolwide behavior management that are effective within the school community and communicates behavior management expectations to students, teachers, and parents.
- Develops, revises, and implements a school safety plan that manages crisis situations in an effective and timely manner.
- Ensures that a schoolwide positive behavior approach is deeply embedded in all stakeholders regarding schoolwide expectations for student behavior standards, routines, structures, and consequences.
- Is proactive in formulating and implementing a school safety plan that enlists the support of external resources/experts in the field of school safety to determine when plans should be modified to meet future crisis situations; shares successful innovative strategies with colleagues and serves as a model.
- Anticipates and plans for emergency school safety issues, proactively works with students, staff and community resources to ensure a safe and orderly learning environment that is clearly and effectively communicated.
- Nurtures and sustains a culture of collaboration, trust, learning & high expectations by providing structured opportunities for various groups within the school community to design and implement innovative approaches to improving learning; works to ensure increased school success.
- Engages all stakeholders in developing and sustaining a learning environment that includes both academic and extra-curricular programming that meets the needs of the school community.
- Ensures that a schoolwide positive behavior approach is implemented in the school that sets expectations for student behavior and establishes schoolwide routines, structures, and consequences.
- Formulates and implements school safety plans that address county regulations and meet state, address the needs of all crisis situations, are understood by all staff, students and community.
- Is knowledgeable of current school safety issues; ensures & maintains operations to ensure a safe and orderly learning environment, which is communicated to students, staff and community.
- Develops a culture of collaboration, trust, learning, and high expectations by encouraging staff to work together on key instructional designs, enrichment and interventions to meet the needs of all students.
- Creates a personalized and motivating learning environment for students in which they are involved in academic and extra-curricular programs that meet the needs of students, parents, staff and the school community.