Important Immunization Requirement: Do You Have a Student Entering Seventh Grade This Year?

By Communications and Community Relations Staff
July 01, 2020

If yes, your student may need a booster dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis).

A Tdap booster is required for all students entering seventh grade, including those who choose all-virtual learning. Parents or guardians should ask their private healthcare provider, or the health department, to review their student's immunization record to ensure that their student has received the Tdap booster. Students who have received a Tdap booster at age seven or older will meet the school immunization requirement for Tdap and will not need another dose prior to entering seventh grade. Seventh grade students cannot begin school in August without documentation of the Tdap booster.

Documentation must be provided to the middle school student information assistant (SIA) or registrar as soon as possible. Acceptable documentation can be one of the following:

  1. A copy of your student's immunization record showing the month, day, and year the Tdap vaccine was given.
  2. A note on a healthcare provider’s letterhead stating the month, day, and year the Tdap vaccine was given.
  3. A healthcare provider’s written statement of a permanent or temporary medical exemption for a student who cannot receive the immunization due to medical reasons.
  4. A notarized Religious Exemption Form which is available online at:

The Tdap booster is available from your student’s healthcare provider or the Fairfax County Health Department. For information on back-to-school immunizations, including Tdap, visit the Health Department website. To make an appointment for Tdap or other school required immunizations at the Health Department, call the appointment line at 703-246-6010 (TTY 711). Please note that students receiving immunizations at the Health Department must be accompanied by an adult, and should bring their immunization records with them.

More information about immunization requirements and exemptions can be found in the current version of FCPS Regulation 2101 and on the General Registration Immunization section of the FCPS website. 

If you have any questions, contact Teresa Gallahan, School Health Specialist, Department of Special Services, at