Important Immunization Requirement: Do You Have a Student Entering Seventh Grade or Twelfth Grade This Fall?
If yes, your student may need one or more of the following immunizations:
- One dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis) given at age 7 or older.
- One dose of Meningococcal Vaccine (MenACWY, Menactra, or Menveo) given at age 10 or older.
- One dose of Meningococcal Vaccine (MenACWY, Menactra, or Menveo) given at age 16 or older.
Effective July 1, 2021, these immunizations are required for all students entering seventh and twelfth grades, including those who choose all-virtual instruction. Parents or guardians should ask their private healthcare provider, or the health department, to review their student's immunization record to ensure that their student has received these required immunizations.
Seventh grade students cannot begin school in August without documentation of the Tdap and Meningococcal vaccines.
Twelfth grade students cannot begin school in August without documentation of the Meningococcal vaccine.
Documentation must be provided to the student information assistant (SIA) or registrar at the school your student is currently attending or will be attending in the fall as soon as possible.
Acceptable documentation can be one of the following:
- A copy of your student's immunization record showing the date the immunization was given.
- A note on a healthcare provider’s letterhead stating the date the immunization was given.
- A healthcare provider’s written statement of a permanent or temporary medical exemption for a student who cannot receive the immunization due to medical reasons.
- A notarized Religious Exemption Form which is available online at: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/support/health_medical/certificate_religious_exemption.pdf.
These immunizations are available from your student’s healthcare provider or the Fairfax County Health Department. Immunizations are also available at local pharmacies, such as CVS and Walgreens, and urgent care centers, such as Patient First.
The following clinics provide immunizations to low income families or those families with or without insurance:
The following websites provide information about the Tdap and Meningococcal immunizations:
- CDC: Vaccines for Preteens and Teens: What Parents Should Know.
- CDC: Vaccine for Meningococcal Disease.
- CDC: Vaccine for Tetanus.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the school health specialists for Fairfax County Public Schools: