Class of 2020 Senior Spotlight - Mebea Samson, Hayfield Secondary School
1) What has been your biggest disappointment/hardship since schools have been closed for the remainder of the academic year?
Not being able to go to a JROTC event with a friend was disappointing, also not having prom (but I might have saved myself the embarrassment).
2) What are your plans for the fall?
Go to Virginia Tech and crush the first semester, then explore every inch of Blacksburg and visit the hospital I was born in (I was born in Blacksburg).
3) How have your plans changed, if at all?
My original plans were getting out more and being more sociable, but now it's more about learning how to cook a decent meal.
4) What have you learned about yourself since the COVID-19 closures?
I learned that most of my problems come straight up from my laziness rather than me "not having the time." Also I gotta say I've been sleeping on pop music a little bit, I judged it too quick.
5) What is your passion?
My passion is Anime, manga, movies, and hip hop, but recently I've been getting into watching football and podcasts more heavily.
6) Have you discovered a new passion in light of social distancing?
A new passion is definitely drawing, but mostly like copying stuff I see online, and seeing how well I emulate the original image.
7) Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?
One thing you should know about me is that I'm VERY chill, and slow to anger, also pretty quiet.
8) What are you most proud of about your school experience/best memory?
In terms of school experiences, I really enjoyed being part of the Ethiopian dance team during International Night. It actually got me to connect more with my culture/country.