High School Extracurricular Activity and AP/IB Test Fees
Fees for Extracurricular Activities and Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB) Tests
As part of the Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) FY 2018 Approved Budget, FCPS has adopted new fees for high school students: an extracurricular activity fee and Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB) test fees. Students who qualify for the free and reduced-price meals program and have submitted the consent to share their free and reduced-price status will not be charged for these fees in accordance with their waiver selections on the fee consent form. These forms can be found on the Food and Nutrition Services, Free and Reduced-Price Meals web page. The payment of student fees is the responsibility of parents and guardians. However, for students and families who are undergoing economic hardships and are financially unable to pay the stated student fees, assistance is available as noted in the current version of Regulation 2135, Assistance to Students. Please contact your child’s school to determine your eligibility.
Extracurricular Activity Fee
- Extracurricular activities include athletics and clubs for which no academic credit or grade is awarded.
- Students participating in one or more extracurricular school activities will be required to pay a one-time nonrefundable $50 extracurricular activity fee per year.
- The $50 fee is the same no matter how many extracurricular activities your student participates in each year.
- This fee does not apply to required activities that are assigned as part of a class for academic credit or grade, such as marching band or career and technical education student organizations.
Advanced Placement (AP)/International Baccalaureate (IB) Test Fees
- The fees for the first six AP/IB tests taken by each student for courses in which they are also enrolled for high school credit will be paid by FCPS.
- To determine if a student has used their six paid tests, the cumulative number of AP/IB tests over a student’s time in FCPS is counted, including all exams taken prior to the current school year.
- AP/IB tests taken outside of FCPS are not included in the cumulative count.
- Students who choose to take one or more AP/IB tests beyond the six FCPS-funded tests will be charged a fee of:
- $119 per IB test.
- $93 per AP test.
- Fees will not be assessed for tests taken beyond six prior to the 2017-18 school year.
- Students taking one or more AP tests without enrolling in the corresponding course will be responsible for the test fee(s):
- These test(s) will not count towards their six FCPS-funded tests.
- The billing for these test(s) will be a separate billing process from students enrolled in AP/IB courses.
- While FCPS encourages all students to take AP/IB tests for courses in which they are enrolled, students will have the opportunity to opt out of the test(s) by completing an opt-out form to be provided by the school. To assist in the decision-making process, students will be provided a report with cumulative AP/IB test history for courses in which they were also enrolled in FCPS and current AP/IB course enrollment for courses with an associated test.
- The online payment service, MySchoolBucks, is the same portal that many parents and guardians currently use to pay for school meals providing them a convenient, efficient, flexible and secure way to pay for school-related purchases and student fees.
- Extracurricular Activity fees
- Beginning on October 16, 2017, parents will be able to use their school’s MySchoolBucks store to pay for the extracurricular fee online.
- AP/IB test fees
- Parents and guardians currently enrolled in MySchoolBucks will receive an email notification informing them of a bill for the AP/IB test fees for their respective child(ren).
- Parents and guardians not enrolled in MySchoolBucks will receive an email with instructions on enrolling in MySchoolBucks.
- Parents and guardians with students attending schools offering both IB and AP courses will be billed in December 2017.
- Parents and guardians with students attending schools offering only AP courses will be billed in April 2018.
- Extracurricular Activity fees
- Parents and guardians can pay extracurricular activity and AP/IB test fees:
- Online using a debit or credit card or electronic check through MySchoolBucks. This is the preferred method of payment.
- The forms of payments accepted onsite at school locations are money order or cash.
- Please note: Cash is the least preferred method but will be accepted at the student's school.
- Students who qualify for the free and reduced-price meals program and have submitted the consent to share their free and reduced-priced status will not be charged for these fees in accordance with their waiver selections on the fee consent form. These forms can be found on the Food and Nutrition Services, Free and Reduced-Price Meals web page.
For more information, contact your child’s school.
For information about eligibility for economic hardship contact your child's school.