Activities and Enrichment
Student activities programs are an integral part of the total elementary, middle, and high school education program. Fairfax County Public Schools stresses the importance of providing a well-balanced activities program to augment the learning activities in the classroom. The Activities programs provide opportunities for students in a variety of areas including student government, student publications, and special interest groups. Most of the activities require only an interest, some a try-out, others a special skill, but there is something for everyone!
- At the elementary level, FCPS provides opportunities for students as safety patrols, as well as in student government.
- At the middle school level, FCPS provides for involvement in performing groups, student government, newspaper, yearbook, drama, general interest clubs, and the literary magazine.
- At the high school level, FCPS offers a wealth of opportunities for student growth and enrichment through student government, performing groups, publications, honor societies, and special interest clubs.
Benefits of Being Involved
Participation in student activities is truly a learning experience and an enhancement of the regular school day. National studies and research indicate that:
- Participation in activities and athletics promotes citizenship.
- Students involved in activities have higher grade point averages than nonparticipants.
- Students involved in activities have better attendance records than nonparticipants.
- Participation in school activities is one of the most accurate predictors of success after college.