Spanish for Fluent Speakers
Spanish for Fluent Speakers is offered at the following schools:
- Annandale HS
- Centreville HS
- Edison MS
- Fairfax HS
- Falls Church HS
- Glasgow MS
- Herndon HS
- Herndon MS
- Holmes MS
- Irving MS
- Jackson MS
- Justice HS
- Key MS
- Kilmer MS
- Lake Braddock SS
- Lewis HS
- Madison HS
- Marshall HS
- Mount Vernon HS
- Oakton HS
- Poe MS
- Robinson SS
- Sandburg MS
- South County HS
- Stone MS
- West Potomac HS
- West Springfield HS
- Westfield HS
- Whitman MS
- These courses are taught in Spanish and designed for heritage speakers of Spanish.
- Middle School world languages credit becomes a part of the high school transcript.
- These courses
- Count toward fulfilling the world languages requirement.
- Count toward the total number of credits required for graduation.
- Are included in the determination of the high school grade point average (GPA).
- Counts toward fulfilling the world languages requirements of the high school Advanced Studies diploma.
- Strengthen their basic skills in reading and writing Spanish.
- Learn about the Hispanic contributions to the English language and American culture.
- Study the major historical figures and events of Spanish-speaking countries.
- Continues to emphasize the improvement of students' skills in speaking, reading, and writing in Spanish.
- Students read and critique contemporary short stories and make oral presentations.
- The writing and reading processes are emphasized to ensure growth in both skills.
- Students study various Hispanic personalities and historic events of Spanish-speaking countries.
- Continues to emphasize the refinement of proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking Spanish.
- Students develop research skills through the reading and critiquing of literary works.
- The influence of Hispanic culture in contemporary American society is highlighted.