Special Education Referral to Eligibility Meetings and Timeline
Timeline from a referral to the eligibility and Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings.
Make a Referral
When there is reason to suspect that a student has a disability and is in need of special education and related services, a referral should be made to the local screening committee.
- Complete Multi-purpose Referral Form, pages 1 and 2 (SS/SE-5).
- Immediately inform Local Screening Committee (LSC) chair to be put on the LSC meeting agenda.
Local Screening Committee (LSC) Meeting
Must be held within 10 business days of receipt of the referral by the designee.
- If testing is recommended and permission granted, begin Special Education Evaluation.
Special Education Evaluation
Assessment is completed before the eligibility meeting.
- Student Testing: Student is assessed in all areas addressed on the Notice and Consent for Evaluation (SS/SE-2).
- Social History: Parent meets with school social worker to discuss academic, developmental, and family history.
- Interpretive Conference: Optional parent meeting with school psychologist to review evaluation results.
Must be held within 65 business days of the referral.
- The eligibility committee determines if student is eligible for special education services.
- Reevaluation eligibility meetings are held within 65 business days of the date the request was received by school-based designee.
Individualized Education Program (IEP) Meeting
Must be held within 30 calendar days of the initial eligibility meeting if student is found eligible and may be held if there is a change making a meeting necessary after reevaluation.
- Parent and teachers develop a plan for goals and services.