Great Things Are Happening at FCPS
Accomplishments Across FCPS
Snapshot of Recent Accomplishments
- Nearly 92 percent of FCPS students from the class of 2017 graduated on time, exceeding the state average of 91.1 percent. More than 93 percent of graduates plan to pursue post-secondary education.
- FCPS students outperformed their peers in Virginia and the nation on the SAT in 2017 with a mean score of 1185, compared to the Virginia mean score of 1095 and the national mean score of 1044.
- 223 FCPS students were named National Merit Scholarship semifinalists for 2018.
- FCPS students continue to demonstrate achievement at the proficient or advanced level on the Virginia SOL tests. In 2017, 84 percent of students met or exceeded the standards for proficiency in reading, 86 percent in writing, 85 percent in science, 83 percent in mathematics, and 90 percent in history and social sciences. The pass rates exceeded the state percentages by three to seven points.
- Over 28,000 students performed over 505,078 Service learning hours in the school year 2017-18.
- In 2015-2016, students earned more than 20,900 VDOE-approved industry certifications and licenses.
- All high schools in FCPS are introducing new ESOL programming for their English language learners, consisting of a new course sequence in core subject areas and additional newcomer supports that were piloted at Lee and Stuart High Schools last year.
- FCPS is one of only five school divisions in the country named as a CyberPatriot Center of Excellence, with seven high schools active in the CyberPatriot program. Beginning this school year, the CyberPatriot program is offered in seven middle schools as well, with funding provided by the Foundation for FCPS.
- All Fairfax County high schools have been designated among the most demanding public schools in the country and are featured in the 2018 Washington Post list of top U.S. high schools.
- FCPS is partnered with Genesys Works, a non-profit organization that works to train and provide paid IT internships to high school seniors. This fall, Genesys Works placed 22 students with employers in the metropolitan area.
- Parents and students are able to stay up-to-date on school bus arrival status with the bus delay notification system available on the FCPS website.
- All school cafeterias replaced the polystyrene trays in the cafeterias with recyclable trays made of uncoated and unbleached paperboard.
- Ninety-six percent — 187 of 194 Fairfax County public schools have earned full accreditation from the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) for 2017-18, based on results from Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) tests administered during the 2016-17 school year.
- Data released on concussion and injury prevention programs used in FCPS athletic programs shows that concussions have declined more than 43 percent since 2013, and that injuries have declined nearly 24 percent.
- 80 FCPS schools are registered Eco-Schools, which means they meet effective “green” management criteria of the school grounds, facilities and the curriculum as determined by the National Wildlife Federation. Of those schools, 12 have been designated Green Flag schools, the highest award an Eco-School can achieve.
- FCPS named 2018 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year, for the second year in a row. FCPS has the most schools meeting Energy Star standards of any school division in the country.
VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Report cards for schools, school divisions and the commonwealth provide detailed information about the quality of learning and instruction, including state and federal accountability ratings, grade-by-grade data on student achievement, graduation rates and teacher qualifications.Visit the Virginia Department of Education
FCPS SCHOOL PROFILES
School profiles include data on accreditation, demographics, staffing, test results, safety, wellness, technology, and membership as well as information on school programs and special features.Visit the school profiles
Performance and Accountability
FCPS openly shares student achievement, finances, and other information about the school division. Find out how you can access this information.
FCPS is dedicated to building the future child by child. Our mission is to inspire and empower students to meet high academic standards, lead ethical lives, and be responsible and innovative global citizens.