Updating or Changing Your Beneficiaries
How to Ensure your Life Insurance, Retirement System, and Supplemental Retirement Plan Beneficiaries are Up-to-date
Ensuring Your Life Insurance and Retirement System Beneficiaries are Up-to-date
Major life events such as marriage, birth/adoption of children, or divorce warrant review of your beneficiary designations. Employees can view life insurance coverage amounts by logging in to UConnect and clicking on “My Benefits” and then “Current Benefits.” Don’t forget to also review your beneficiary designations for pension benefits. These can be different than your life insurance beneficiary designation, and one does not automatically update when you change the other.
Determining Your Retirement System(s):
Most employees have this designated on their Pay Advice. Check the column labeled "Tax Deferred & Post-Tax Deductions" on your most recent Pay Advice. Deduction codes that start with “FC” are members of the FCERS system; codes that start with "VRS" and "ERFC" are members of VRS/ERFC.
Checking Your Current Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation:
- Virginia Retirement System (VRS) members can contact the Richmond Branch of Securian Financial to verify life insurance beneficiary designations at 1-800-441-2258. To update your beneficiary, use the Designation of Beneficiary (VRS-2) form.
- Members of the Fairfax County Employees’ Retirement System (FCERS) also receive life insurance benefits from Securian Financial through a different contract. Call the FCPS Office of Benefit Services at 571-423-3200, option 3, to verify your life insurance beneficiary. If you need to update your beneficiary, submit the Beneficiary Designation Change Request (HR-143) form.
Checking Your Current Retirement System Beneficiary Designation:
- ERFC members can log-in to ERFCDirect and click on “Named Beneficiaries” in the left column menu under “Member Information” to designate or update beneficiary information.
- VRS members can designate or change their beneficiary for member contributions by submitting a Designation of Beneficiary (VRS-2) form to VRS. Be sure to keep a copy for your records. You will not receive a copy or confirmation of receipt.
- VRS Hybrid members will need to submit an additional Designation of Beneficiary form for the defined contribution portion of their retirement plan.
- FCERS members need to establish a Web Member Service (WMS) account to view their retirement beneficiary information.
- To access WMS, you will need to go to the FCERS website and click on “Member Area: Secure Log In” in the left navigation bar. Establish an account and proceed.
- Once you have established your account and logged in, click on “Nominated Beneficiary” on the left side.
- To make changes to the beneficiary listed, you will need to submit a Retirement System Change Request form to FCERS. Be sure to keep a copy for your records.
Checking Your Current Supplemental Retirement Plan Beneficiary Designation:
If you are enrolled in a supplemental retirement plan, such as the 457(b), 403(b), and/or the VRS Hybrid 457, your beneficiary designations are handled by your chosen vendor(s). To view/update your current beneficiary designation, you will need to log into your member account where you will able to update your designations electronically*.
- EMPOWER Retirement: www.gwrs.com/fcps
- EMPOWER Retirement: www.fcps.empower-retirement.com
- TIAA: www.tiaa.org/fcps
- AIG Retirement Services (formerly VALIC): www.valic.com/fcps
VRS Hybrid 457: www.varetirement.org/hybrid/forms.html
*Hardcopy forms are available upon request. You will need to reach out to your vendor directly.