FCPS information systems are operated for the mutual benefit of all users. The term "information systems" as used herein includes, but is not limited to: hardware, software, communication lines and devices, graphing calculators, terminals, printers, CD-ROM devices, scanners, digital cameras, LCD projectors and any computers.
The use of the FCPS Network is a privilege, not a right. Users should not do, or attempt to do anything that might disrupt the operation of the network or equipment, and/or interfere with the learning of other students or work of other FCPS employees. The FCPS Network is connected to the Internet/World-Wide Web, a network of networks, which enables people to interact with hundreds of thousands of networks and computers.
All access to the FCPS Network shall be pre-approved by the principal or program manager. The school or office may restrict or terminate any user's access, without prior notice, if such action is deemed necessary to maintain computing availability and security for other users of the systems. Other disciplinary action, including suspension, may be imposed as stated in the Fairfax County Public Schools Student Responsibilities and Rights (SR&R) document. Adult supervision of student users is mandatory at all times.
Respect for Others
Users should respect the rights of others using the FCPS Network.
- Use assigned workstations as directed by the teacher.
- Be considerate when using scarce resources.
- Always log off your workstation after finishing your work.
- Do not deliberately attempt to disrupt system performance or interfere with the work of other users.
- Leave equipment and room in good condition for the next user or class.
- Keep work areas neat and clean; no gum, food, or drink (including water) in any area where computers are located.
Ethical Conduct for Users
Accounts on the FCPS Network, both school-based and central, are considered private, although absolute security of any data cannot be guaranteed. It is the responsibility of all users to:
- Use only their account/password. It is a violation to give access to their account to any other user.
- Recognize and honor the intellectual property of others; comply with legal restrictions regarding plagiarism and the use and citation of information resources.
- Do not read, modify, or remove files owned by other users.
- Restrict the use of the FCPS Network and resources to the mission or function of the school system; the use of the FCPS Network for personal use or for private gain is prohibited.
- Help maintain the integrity of the school information system; deliberate tampering or experimentation is not allowed. It is a violation to modify config.sys, autoexec.bat, system folder or control panel files without prior approval of the instructor or program manager.
Respect for Property
The only software, other than students' projects, to be used on school computers or the school network are those products which the school may legally use. Copying copyrighted software without full compliance with terms of a pre-authorized licensing agreement is a serious federal offense and will not be tolerated. Modifying any copyrighted software or borrowing software is not permitted.
- Do not modify or rearrange keyboards, individual key caps, monitors, printers, or any other peripheral equipment.
- Report equipment problems immediately to teacher or program manager.
- Leave workstations and peripherals in their designated places.
- Do not use offensive, obscene, or harassing language when using any FCPS Network system.
- Information may not be posted if it: violates the privacy of others, jeopardizes the health and safety of students, is obscene or libelous, causes disruption of school activities, plagiarizes the work of others, is a commercial advertisement, or is not approved by the principal or program manager.
- Users will not change or delete files belonging to others.
- Only school related files are to be saved on network accounts. Storing commercial software and/or games or hidden files to accounts is not permitted.
- All mail communications must reflect the sender's account ID; therefore, all users must use their exchange email provided by FCPS only.
- The user is responsible for making sure all e-mail received by him/her does not contain pornographic material, inappropriate information or computer viruses.
- Sending e-mail to general audiences is not allowed (i.e. chain mail, mail forwarding, or mail bombing).
- Real-time messaging and on-line chat may only be used with the permission of the teacher or program manager.
- Students are not to reveal personal information (last name, home address, phone number) in correspondence with unknown parties.
- Users exercising their privilege to use the Internet as an educational resource shall accept the responsibility for all material they receive.
- Internet gaming is prohibited.
- Users are prohibited from accessing portions of the Internet that do not promote the instructional mission of FCPS.
- Copyrighted software shall not be downloaded from the Internet or further transmitted in any form without compliance with all terms of pre-authorized licensing agreement. Infringement or violation of U.S. or international copyright laws or restrictions will not be tolerated.
- All student-produced web pages are subject to approval and on-going review by responsible teacher and/or principal. All web pages should reflect the mission and character of the school and must comply with the West Springfield High School Internet Web Page Guidelines and Galaxy Checklist for Loading Student Web Pages.
Revised January 2011